iOS 4.0 Japanes language support in os 4?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Christina85, May 13, 2010.

1. Christina85

Christina85 New Member

Hello,
    I suppose none of you will know the answer but why not try:
    will the new 4.0 OS provide more support for Japanese language?
    Thus far one can use Chinese input for recognition of handwritten kanji...this is still pretty bad. likewise the Chinese input doesn't recognize kana so you cannot input both kanji and kana at the same time (need to switch between both). Do you know if this will be finally improved with the new os? (i.e. bring in up to par with Windows Mobile which has a fabulous Japanese support in the Japanese OS).
    Alternatively, would you know if there's any software (other than shinkanji) that allows for Japanese handwritten input?
    As I said, this is very specific but why not try.
    Christina
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What? The Japanese input support is pretty good. Just use the Japanese kana input keyboard to type in the kana, and then the system will guess the kanji for it. I've typed quite a lot in Japanese and not had any problems with it at all.

The Chinese kanji handwriting isn't great, but it's good if you don't know the reading of a kanji. Alternatively, use the Japanese application since it has radical look up and other ways of searching for kanji.
  3. Christina85

Christina85 New Member

Meikura, thanks for the answers. I should have been probably more specific: of course I usually use just kana to type the kanji that I want...but unlike native Japanese i still don't know the pronunciation to many kanji (know about 1000 now). And looking up kanji by radicals takes longer than just inputting it. So I do like the handwritten input - it speeds up your work, especially if you translate a lot - which I do.
    The Chinese input is bad for that sake. So I hope that Apple will finally release something that will fully support Japanese..also something that will allow you to type kana and kanji at the same type when handwriting.
  4. Jodene =o)

Jodene =o) Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    I know nothing really of what you are asking.. but would this programme be of any use??

WritePad

Please Register or Log in to view images

It lets you write with your finger as handwriting ..... and has a translator too. I managed to get a copy of the app when it was free at one time.. so I've used it.. but as I'm not an asian(speaker/writer), I don't know if it will be of the use you are after... just thought I'd throw it out there for you anyways

5. Christina85

Christina85 New Member

Thank you Jodene, but no, this would not work. What I am talking about looks more like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lo2TTLUz2g
    This is part of a software that can be downloaded or Ipod (called shinkanji) but my question is whether Apple will finally introduce its own for the whole system? (the way Windows Mobile has it).
  6. privard

privard New Member

More info

The reason so many kanji aren't findable with the Chinese handwriting is simple--they don't exist in Chinese. The characters have been evolving separately for 1300+ years. Some changed in Chinese but not Japanese, some changed in Japanese but not Chinese, many changed differently in both countries, and some characters were wholly invented in Japan. It's not a small number of characters that are effected--if you're using the Chinese input to enter kanji regularly, you'll get frustrated in a hurry. Even common kanji like 気 and 仏 (feeling and Buddhism, in case the kanji don't show properly) are different--the Japanese form simply isn't in the Chinese handwriting database because there is no character written that way in Chinese.

And, like many people, I don't happen to know all the kanji and their many readings by heart yet, so, yes, having Japanese handwriting input on the iPhone would be a very big deal to me (in fact, it's the thing that keeps me from getting one--my Windows Mobile phone has excellent Japanese handwriting input, but I'd ditch it in a heartbeat for an iPhone that did what I needed). Maybe now that there's multitasking, someone will make a Japanese input program we can use to enter Japanese into other programs.