January Software Update(1.1.3) Review

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by aaquib, Jan 19, 2008.

1. aaquib

aaquib Banned

So, after 2 days of waiting and constantly visiting ifans.com, I finally decided to go ahead and buy it. I paid a flat $20 for an iTunes card, and wasn't charged any taxes. $19.99 was the exact price it charged.

So, for $19.99, I wasn't sure if it was too much of an enhancement from a jailbroken Touch. You get the My Location feature in Google Maps, as well a somewhat new UI in Google Maps, supporting the new Hybrid view. The My Location feature works like a dream. Anywhere in my house, I just tap the locate me icon, and boom, right there, there's a circle around my house. From there you can go ahead and get directions or even drop a pin and bookmark it.

You also get "Webclips." Now, this is no better than the iPhone Popper except for the fact that it's much more convenient to use. No computer required. Just go to any site, press the + icon, and add to home page. It is no "better" than the iPhone Popper, but it is a heck lot more convenient.

You know, I always hated constantly going to Summerboard to adjusting just one icon on the home screen. The new feature makes it so simple. It lets you put your icons anywhere, and you can have up to 144 apps. It's not really any better than summerboard, except for the fact that you can have your icons split. So, sometimes I wanted to just have 1 icon in the last row. I couldn't do that. I either had to skip the last row or put them all there, which made it look a little messy. This problem is now solved.

And finally, Weather, Stocks, and Notes applications work identically to a Jailbroken iPod Touch. Now for performance. People have said that the new firmware shows better performance and everything seems smoother. For me, I've found that when you press the home button, then it does move a bit quicker. I've also so far, experienced no crashes.

So, who is this for? If you want all the new apps, officially, and with innovations like My Location, and Webclips, and you want it NOW, then I really think this software pack is for you. At $19.99, it's not SO bad, especially considering that your warranty is safe, and you'll be able to use all the amazing features in the official SDK releasing in late Feburary. If you don't mind waiting, the new features aren't too compelling to you, and you love the 3rd party apps "currently" exclusive to jailbreaking, then you're probably better off keeping your Jailbroken Touch.

Update:

After reading that the video out feature may work, I decided to try it. I plugged in my iPod Touch to the Apple Universal Dock, and plugged in the OLDER version of the iPod TV connectors, which didn't work prior to the update to 1.1.3. Well, Im delighted to report that it works. Just plug your iPod into the dock, and when going to display a video it'll ask you if you want to display to the TV. Plug it in and you're off. I begun watching Macworld 2008, and the quality looks awesome. I think it looks better than the Nano. Well, that's another great feature of 1.1.3. Hope you enjoy!
  2. cagao

cagao New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    the thing really piss me off about the update is not the price, but the principle. why people buy the ipod after would get the apps for free. it makes me feel like a giant sucker.

well, i would consider that break my touch so badly and make apple to change me another one with 1.1.3 and apps...... i got warrenty...

mmmmm.....smart~

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. vittimac

vittimac New Member

Very nice review. I too am thinking of buying the software. And even if down the road they become free you would get the 20$ back right? I do agree though that it's unfair that the iphone users get this for free and ipod user have to pay, but if this money is going towards dev's for future ipod exclusive software, hell i'll pay for sure.
  4. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    have you ever jailbroken your ipod touch? and do the lyrics work too? im really excited about buying the pack!! i had jailbroken my ipod in the past (about 3 months ago) and restored it back the same day. if i buy the new apps, will anything bad or fishy happen, because the ipod was previously jailbroken, or will it just go ahead as normal? and if ive restored my ipod, can apple still find out that ive jailbroken it in the past, and say that the warranty is void??
    soorbob
  5. Lonman06

Lonman06 New Member

You should be fine, I jailbroke mine a while back and updated and installed the pack the day it came out. I had no problems at all.

The update pack is pretty cool, it feels kinda nice to have a fully legal ipod now

6. ricthar

ricthar New Member

I jailbroke mine and when I upgraded to 1.1.3 and the new apps I had no problem. I don't see how they would be able to find out you had jb'd your touch, you are downloading, not uploading info for your update. It's like wiping a hard drive and starting over.
  7. Charlie Chambers

Charlie Chambers New Member

You have just convinced me to buy the update

8. Evalocity7

Evalocity7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah I agree with you...I could give them 20$ easily, but I refuse too..Just because of what they did. Also because I am more content with my JB 1.1.2 firmware right now. I'll just wait till 1.1.3 is jailbroken.
  9. makaveldon04i

makaveldon04i New Member

dude..if you enjoy this update...just wait until it gets jailbroken...youll have all that sh*t+more =p
  10. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)