Jammed Home Key

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pro2010, Apr 6, 2009.

1. pro2010

pro2010 New Member

My ipod touch 1g has had a rough life. Surviving the wash and such. I think it was the result of the washer that caused this but my home key seem jammed. It is lower than it should be.

With a hard press it still works but it is no longer a button. Any idea why it would be harder to press? It's still just as responsive but the double tap is hard and slightly painful.

Any possible solution? I could try to pry it up with multiple needles, or a lube.

The wash was 6 months ago. But an apple store is out of the question as A)water damage and B)out of warranty.
  2. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Is the button stuck in a forced in position?
  3. TheTerminator

TheTerminator New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you could download that SBSettings plugin that lets you make a virtual home key.
  4. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    is it stuck or broken?

if it is stuck the edge on the button will be jammed under the front case so you can see and feel a bump.

if it is broken it will look normal but like you said touch to activate.

you should hope for stuck otherwise you might need to dissect it.
  5. pro2010

pro2010 New Member

I would have to say stuck. It's been stuck for quite some time. It's not flush with the screen. So it lays lower then in should. I can still get it to turn on which I don't as it hurts.

Switching apps is now possible (It sucked when I thought I had to restart just to switch). I was at one point leaning towards the disect just to give a nudge.

The key is still sensitive, it's just that an uneeded amount of pressure is required to use it. I have to unlock to change songs because my headphone remote doesn't work or does the double tap.
  6. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You're going to try to pry it up with lube? How exactly is that going to work?
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    He didn't say he was going to pry it up with lube.. He said he was either going to pry it up with needles OR use some lube.
  8. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Lube works wonders ;D
  9. pro2010

pro2010 New Member

Thanks guys....And about the lubricant, it's clearly stuck, maybe by rubbing something around the key it will be come unstuck. Or another option is throwing it in the washer to hopefully undo what the washer caused... hmm. I do miss the yellow rice smell of my ipod.
  10. Will Finlay

Will Finlay Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    i got mine replaced when that happened lol i said i woke up and the button was just like that....and i had 2 days left on the warrenty

Please Register or Log in to view images