Jailbroken - now what? [noob]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by arfa, Apr 8, 2010.

1. arfa

arfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You gotta allow that some people (me) are really new to ipods. What is it about ipa's? I have a bunch from the apple store - some free some paid for.
    I am just trying to get my head around this whole (confusing for me) setup. Some detail here would help.

Can we look at my question? or should I start another thread?

I am now jailbroke and wonder how what now?
    I can read my ipT file system with diskaid but where to put the files - and what to read them with?

Examples using text or htm files would be a good start.
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    He was asking us how to use pirated apps. Read the rules on piracy
  3. arfa

arfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No.! I was not.

Sure, I know about cracked apps and such but that was not the point of my second question. I have a bunch of legal ipa files (all via the apple store online). Should I crash or need to reinstall is it possible to install these apps independent of iTunes? Most apps are only a few bucks anyhow. I have read the rules - admittedly briefly. There was a big notice for the first week of my signing up saying much the same thing.
    I have read about installing 3rd party apps (ie. not official apple) but have yet to work that out either - >another question yet to come

Please Register or Log in to view images

My first question is the primary interest.
    On my Palm i just put txt files on an SD card and used SiED to read and edit. On an ipod touch.......?
    Can I use safari to read offline htm files? Is there another (3rd party, non-pirate

Please Register or Log in to view images

) app?
    I even read somewhere i can set up apache (I code in PHP, js, etc) but I am digressing here.

help --
  4. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the other guy was you? multiple accounts?

you can ssh and then use ifile to read txt files
    you can get myhtml from cydia for that
    dunno waht that is
  5. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I'm really confused by this thread.
  6. arfa

arfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the straight talk j-phone. Appreciate it.

>> the other guy was you?
    I guess so :]
    >> multiple accounts?
    Not me - I have only one.
    [edit] missed this while i was writing...
    Sorry about any confusion.

OK - now i get real nooby. Not that I haven't tried to study this stuff but so much is presumed to be already known. And there are sooooo many opinions, some conflicting. redsnow, yellowsnow, ih8tesnow - just getting this far has been a trip - something here about pain and gain?

>> you can ssh
    Is this possible now that I have jb? or is there more intall/mod req'd?
    [edit] a real oops this time - read the ssh sticky. Yes, I have to get wifi and finish cydia and... sorry if this is so messy.

>> myhtml from cydia
    I don't have wifi. I presume I need to do a bunch of updating for cydia before I can use it. My understanding is that cydia is a kind of alternative (but legal) apple store?

I think my main problem is not the apps (I am off to buy a 3G USB router today ;o] ) but the under-the-hood ipod stuff. Now I have access to the full ipod directory I would have thought it just a matter of dropping my files in..... somewhere. Naive little lamb that I am.
  7. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. redsn0w is a jailbreak too like blackra1n, ih8sn0w is a jb dev, dunno what yellowsn0w is, its a iphone dev tool tho
    2. you need openssh for wireless and winscp, you need afc2add for USB with ifunbox
    3. If you have terminal or ifile you can ssh debs into it and then instal from there. Read ^ for deb
  8. arfa

arfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    >>1....
    My needs are relatively simple and I hope I have done all the breaking req'd. Tried every way I could not to but.... moving on.

>> openssh
    If I read correct this is installed via cydia?

OK - d'loaded winscp

>> afc2add
    installed via cydia... yes?

>> ifunbox
    First glance looks the same as diskaid or iphonebrowser - both of which I have.

thanks (again) j-phone

ps.
    I have written a few tech manuals and may have a go at putting something together for fellow big time noobs once I have advance a little. A ways to go yet ,.
  9. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    good luck
  10. cameraboirzu

cameraboirzu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No he wasn't. IPA files are not illegal. By free files he meant free apps from the app store...not piracy.

Just because the files have a .ipa extention doesn't mean its illegal, you could view your purchased apps in your itunes folder and guess what extention they are? IPA; thats right.