Jailbroken Ipod Touch 2G randomly crashing while in sleep mode and draining battery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by requiem3, Mar 14, 2010.

1. requiem3

requiem3 New Member

This didn't always happen, but for several months now, if I put my ipod touch to sleep for a while, there is a chance that while asleep, not only will the ipod crash, turning itself off, but the battery rapidly drains.

So, if the charge was at 100% the night before, the ipod will have crashed by the next morning and drained battery to 0%. I know this isn't just the battery draining to 0 and appearing to crash the ipod, because several times I've caught it before it goes to 0%. So for example I'll leave the ipod in sleep for a couple of hours when it's at 100% battery, and return to find it completely turned off, and I'll have to turn it on, and find that it has maybe 30% battery left.

Other times I'll have left it for a few hours from 100% and find it in a completely normal state, only having drained a little bit (3% - 5% maybe).

I've tried using minimum applications, even removing winterboard, but this doesn't fix it. So I'm simply going to restore it to retail until I can find a solution.

Any advice/solution would be greatly appreciated.
  2. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

Restore it to retail, and see if you have the same problem.

If the problem persists, you may just want to upgrade your device, or buy a new one.
  3. requiem3

requiem3 New Member

From recollection, I don't remember it ever crashing if it's not jailbroken.

I restored it right after my original post, and it hasn't crashed at all since then.

Can you shed any light on what may be the problem?

Just FYI: my method of jailbreaking was downloading a jailbroken ispw restore file and running that on my ipod.

Update: 19 hours since I restored, still hasn't crashed, still confused why it crashes when jailbroken
  4. requiem3

requiem3 New Member

Update: Over 2 days now, and the ipod has still not crashed after restoring to retail.

Is my method of jailbreaking bad? Perhaps if I created my own ispw file instead of using someone else's, it wouldn't crash anymore? Anyone have ideas?
  5. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What firmware is it?
  6. requiem3

requiem3 New Member

The jailbroken firmware was 3.1.2 I believe. I'm on 3.1.3 retail now.
  7. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Could have been the jailbreak. If you would want to jailbreak again, it's not the same method, so maybe the problems would not come back.
  8. requiem3

requiem3 New Member

Yeah I guess that's all I can try. Do you have any jailbreaking methods you would recommend?
  9. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Redsn0w is the only one for 3.1.3 on 2G.
  10. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You may have installed something that caused the random crashing and battery drain.