jailbroken iphone on ebay, data plan still required?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Twan013, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Twan013

Twan013 New Member

You guys may know exactly what I'm about to say, just from the subject line, but here goes anyway...

I have an extreme case of iPhone envy, especially since I've seen the prices of used ones on eBay.. Originally, I just wanted an iPod Touch because the data plan was too expensive... but then I got this idea. Can I buy an jailbroken iphone from eBay and not have to worry about the data plan? I've done a search (google), and all I could find out was that if I buy a used iPhone, and don't have a data plan, AT&T will automatically add the plan to my bill.. But everything I found never said anything about the iPhone being jailbroken.. So far all I know about jailbreaking is that people do it to get to apps that aren't available in the App Store..

The reason I came up with this idea, is because if I get a Touch, I would have to carry around 2 devices all the time, or I would ultimately "neglect" my touch. And if my plan WILL work, I can just put my SIM card in the iPhone, and only use the internet when I can get Wi-Fi...

So, Will my plan work? Thanks!!
  2. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I didnt read your post, but i im pretty sure i know what you wanna know.

If you already have a plan with AT&T or whatever your country has, then you can just jailbreak your iPhone, and then put your SIM card in the iPhone, no Data plan required.

But since you dont have a Data plan, you can use EDGE/3G so no internet everywhere.

AT&T will not change your contract, since that is illegal.

The only thing you have to worry about is turning off EDGE/3G so you dont get overcharged.
  3. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    For crying out loud. It is NOT illegal for at&t to add the data plan to your service. It is outlined why they would do so on their site. The chances that at&t will force this on customers is quite small. Best thing to do if you have at&t and thinking of getting an iPhone is to call at&t and have them block all data. This way when you buy your iPhone, there is no concern from at&t about you incurring a huge data bill that you will refuse to pay.
  4. Twan013

Twan013 New Member

how would you go about doing that? I'm not worried about 3g, because I don't get that around here anyway... and I'm not sure about EDGE.. I know about not using the internet EVERYWHERE.. its a sacrifice I'm willing to make..

I was just trying to figure out if I can just buy a jailbroken iPhone from eBay, use my SIM card (AT&T, and I'm in the States), not use the data plan at all, and only use the internet when I'm in a Wi-Fi spot...
  5. Zelda4Touch

Zelda4Touch Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    to turn 3G/EDGE off you just need to go to the settings and then network and hit the 3G switch from on to off. Correct me if im wrong somebody as i do not have an iPhone only a iPod touch 1G, but yeah thats what you do.

Secondly, as your on at&t, you can just put your existing sim into the phone as use it as you used your other phone
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    yh, of course you can use the phone in a Wi-Fi hotspot for free
  6. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    OK, the short answer is YES. You can purchase a jailbroken iPhone from ebay and pop in your sim card and use the phone. If SBSettings is installed, you can turn off 3G/Edge from the settings menu. If it is not installed, install from Cydia.

However as I stated, the best way to ensure you do not use Data is to call at&t now and have them block all data to your current phone. Now, when you buy your iPhone, and put in the sim card, you will NEVER have to worry about data charges.
  7. Twan013

Twan013 New Member

awesome... thanks guys... sorry if there was any confusion... I'm definately going with a used iPhone now..
  8. Pandawg

Pandawg Community Development

You can. I am right now lol. Thing is though; I had to unlock it even though I'm with AT&T. The iPhone won't read my SIM card unless I unlock it. I have no clue why

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. jhloa2

jhloa2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i use mine without a data plan and it won't let me connect to the internet! i don't have to turn anything off or even jailbreak it
  10. Twan013

Twan013 New Member

that's the same thing that happened to my girlfriend's brother... except he bought the data plan, but later on, cancelled the contract, and just used his AT&T pre-paid SIM card... all he ever tried to use is making and receiving calls, and texting...