JailBroken Apps Which EAT UP RAM??

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by paulo490, Jan 26, 2009.

1. paulo490

paulo490 New Member

Hello everyone! I'm in the process of trying to achieve MAXIMUM RAM on my iPhone 3G. I've read that the iPhone has 128mb of RAM available and I want as much as I can get!

I was stuck at ~30mb max and uninstalled WinterBoards and now I rest at ~40mb. I've read that some users were able to hit ~60mb.

This very moment I uninstalled 5-Dock and now I have ~45mb of RAM.

What else can I do to free up RAM? Here are the applications installed in Cydia:

Abstract Wallpaper Pack
    Attachment=for mailto:
    BigBoss's Source
    Categories
    Cycorder
    Cydia Community Sources
    Cydia Installer
    Genesis4iphone
    gpSPhone
    iPhone Firmware
    iSpazio
    MobileFinder
    ModMyi.com
    NES
    OpenSSH
    Processes
    Saurik's Source
    SBSettings
    Ste's Source
    ZodTTD's Source

Are there any here which I do NOT need or eat up a lot of RAM? My main concerns would be Categories and SBSettings... and I really hope they don't take up a lot of memory because I like those apps.

Thanks everyone!
  2. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    SBSettings probably takes some ram but it is a useful program.
    there is an app in the appstore (free memory 1.4) that monitor the ram and you can free some memory if you are under 20Mb. It would be interesting to try with an unjailbroken ipod touch or iphone and see how much you get.
  3. giannaros

giannaros New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Winterboard makes iPhone slower
  4. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What is everyone worrying about. Seriously, ever since that Free Memory app came out, everyone is worrying about RAM.

YOU HAVE ENOUGH TO RUN ALL GAMES

The only thing that won't run well is psx4all. And there is nothing to fix that.
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    SBsettings and OpenSSH are the only two things on that list that would run in the background and eat up ram, very little RAM.

An unmodified ipod touch run with about 45-50mb of unused RAM. So your at about the best your ever going to get.

Reboot your ipod and you should see about 60mb free, but as soon as you do anything, flick a page open an app, it will go down to that 30-50 range.

I'm usually running at about 20mb or less and never notice any lag. I have a lot of widgets and a few background process going on all the time. When I want to play a game like BIA or simcity I just turn them all off. For the most part though most games seem to run fine with a very small amount of available memory.
  6. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    SBSettings uses 100kb when not in use. OpenSSH only uses a significant amount of RAM when file transfer
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Well yea when its in use, but most people are not playing games while transferring files and 100kb is nothing.
  8. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't see the big deal, I play games like Tux Racer, Planer Stunts, Crash Kart, Rolando, Raging Thunder, Touchgrind, games that would take use a lot of RAM. But they don't, this Free Memory app has people going crazy over nothing.
  9. paulo490

paulo490 New Member

I'm only going crazy because I've been trying to run Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga on gpSPhone and it continues to crash and make a loud screeching noise every time I get into a battle.

My conclusion was that the cause was a low amount of available RAM, since other people who were using the same exact files and settings as me were able to run the game with no problem at all.

But now I have ~40mb of RAM available and the game still crashes!

UGHH!
  10. Noogums

Noogums New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Exactly. And thats how they're selling the app. Getting people all worked up when this is actually a useless app.