iOS 4.1 Jailbreakme still works through other browsers?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Captain*, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Captain*

Captain* Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I was just reading the article here: http://idedicate.net/?p=385 as posted in another thread located here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310122

I read the comments at the bottom of the article as per normal and noticed something quite intriguing - the first comment describes something I have been trying to figure out the answer too since the JBM exploit by Comex was released. Apple patched JBM in iOS 4.0.2 - but it only addressed the vulnerability exploited by JBM in its Safari app and the PDF reader integrated into it, according to the comment the guy has reversed engineered the JBM exploit and has figured out that the userland exploit that comex discovered, now patched by Apple still works when accessed through another browser (perhaps Opera, but he did not specify which browser.

If this is the case, then technically Apple cant close the hole unless it pulls the app from the app store or forces the developer of the app to update with the vulnerability fixed. If it were the case and it was revived and used through another browser Id assume it would be time for apple to use its killswitch, but its an interesting though to think about. Dont flame me if im completely wrong - but in a perfect world, this should be the case, should it not?

The comment is here:
  2. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If this has any truth to it, which doesn't seem too out of this world, someone needs to get on it ASAP. I think he misspelled "extension" as extintion, meaning its probably not PDF.
  3. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The exploit is not in safari, its in how iOS deals with a malformed pdf file. Thats why you could simply use iBooks to load up the pdf to start the jailbreak process. Whether you used a different browser or not, it wont work on 4.0.2
  4. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Maybe somebody should just try it?!
  5. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I Would if I wasn't siting in study hall lol. Seriously somebody try.
  6. SeaJay

SeaJay New Member

Is this really going to turn out like the "lets replace all the dmg's in the 3.1.3 firmware" thread?

I'll do it, I'll post results soon.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Doesn't work: heres why:

www.jailbreakme.com/_

If you look, theres no .pdf for 4.0.2, because they didn't make a dylib for the exploit. Someone with the ability to make dylib's and customize the .pdf for 4.0.2 on an idevice should report back, otherwise this thread is dead.
  7. Hardkaare

Hardkaare New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I tried it on my iPhone 3G running 4.1 with Opera.

When I typed in jailbreakme.com it redirected me automaticly to the /faq page.
  8. Captain*

Captain* Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    If you understand what needs to be done, have a chat with comex or the dev team mate.