Jailbreaking with redsn0w, USB 1.1 problem?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dangroom, Aug 23, 2009.

1. dangroom

dangroom New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi,
    I know this question has been asked before, here and elsewhere, but every solution I've found hasn't worked. If this should've been posted in an existing thread I apologize, I thought it may help others out who are in my situation.

So I recently upgraded to 3.0 firmware and can't jailbreak with redsn0w. It keeps freezing at 'waiting for reboot'. My question is, is there something I'm missing? Could having USB 1.1 be the issue? I've tried on 2 computers, but both had 1.1. Unfortunately I don't have access to any other computer. Wondered if anyone has used redsn0w with USB 1.1.

Running XP Pro SP3
    iTunes version 8.2.1.6
    16GB iPod Touch 1st gen
    Firmware: iPod1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw from iTunes

Below I've listed all the things I've tried without success.

-Restored firmware multiple times.
    -Unplugged and reconnected USB at "waiting for reboot" screen (both at PC and at iPod with varying lenghts of time before reconnect)
    -Held home button through jailbreak screen, released button after DFU mode entered and every variation possible.
    -Reset iPod and PC
    -turned iPod off before opening redsn0w
    -put ipod into DFU mode before opening redsn0w
    -Run in safe mode
    -Tried redsn0w .71,.72,.8
    -Used iTunes 8.2.1.6 and 8.2.0 and 7.7
    -run redsn0w as administrator.
    -Tried alternate computer.
    -Put firmware in redsn0w folder.
    -Tried selecting Cydia only Icy only and both.
    -Manually rebooted at "waiting for reboot"

I must have tried this over 100 times, nothing seems to work. I get 4 messages along the lines of; jailbreaking, loading DFU, uploading 1st stage and then it will always freeze on "Waiting for reboot".

Also, my computer recognizes when I put my iPod into DFU mode, I get a pop-up from the taskbar that says it's in 'recovery (DFU)', but it doesn't
    show up in iTunes so I can't restore back to 2.2.1. I get an error message 'an iPod has been detected but could not be properly identified. error (2005)' I've tried this with iTunes 7.7, 8.2.0 and 8.2.1.6.

If anyone knows of anything I could try, something I've missed, or if you can jailbreak 3.0 with anything else please let me know.

Thanks
  2. JOS

JOS Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If your first instinct was that you were using USB 1.1, that may be the answer to your solution. I'm betting that using USB 2.0 will be the case in fixing the problem here.
  3. ForeverPimpin

ForeverPimpin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have used redsnow 7 on usb 1.1 on a 8gb 2ng gen itouch, and i worked fine.
  4. dangroom

dangroom New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Interesting to see someone else was able to use USB 1.1. I guess I'll try 2.0 anyway, maybe there is something wrong with my ports. I'm starting to think it is my computer, it's pretty old and only has 1 USB port so I can't try another. Although I can sync my iPod and the port recognizes everything else I connect, in my experience they can be pretty temperamental things.

Thanks for the replies.
  5. ForeverPimpin

ForeverPimpin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey also it took me a number of times and having to redownload my IPSW and Redsn0w. But after i re DL everything and did it it worked.
  6. dangroom

dangroom New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So I updated my USB drivers, didn't work. I tried to put into DFU mode again at 'waiting for reboot', it worked; uploaded RAM disk/ kernel, etc. Said it was jailbroken..... it wasn't. No Cydia, couldn't transfer apps, etc.

Anyway, I managed to get on a newer computer with USB 2.0 and it worked first time. A pretty easy solution in the end, considering the amount of things I tried. I hope this helps someone out there.