Jailbreaking.....What is it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Baldie, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Baldie

Baldie New Member

I'm going out to buy a touch tomorrow most likely a 2nd gen because that seems to all be whats available. What is jailbreaking and will I need to do this in order to put my own music and my own movie files on the touch? I know jailbreaking is not yet available for the 2nd gen but why is it needed?

I've had a 1st gen video ipod for years now and use software to convert avi files to make the usable on the video ipod and I use frostwire/limewire to download mp3's to put on my ipod. Will I be doing the exact same thing to put movies/mp3's on the touch???
  2. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    dont worry the 2g cant be jailbroken anyway
    but jailbreaking is allowing the 3rd party apps made by developers to be on the ipod
  3. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Jailbreaking makes customization of the iPod possible. It isn't really needed; it is just a cool modification for people who are into modding. You don't need it to add your own movies and music; iTunes will do that for you. The conversion software you mentioned will work for converting your movies.
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Jailbreaking is Privilege Escalation. Gives you root access to the device. (Its a Unix/Linux thing). Basically lets you do whatever you want (Within it's power) to the device and whatever you want with it (As again, within it's power). It is not required to install Apps (From the App Store) or put Music and Videos etc. Currently, there is no Jailbreak for the 2G iPod Touch.

I suggest you move onto new software (Check my signature, click the link about Converting videos) for software that will give you better quality for your new device. All of the software mentioned in it is Free of Charge and easy to use.
  5. Baldie

Baldie New Member

What are some examples of 3rd party apps that alot of people install? Looks like my local best buy has the 1st gen 16gb touches in stock so I may consider that one. I was leaning towards the 32gb 2nd gen but I might opt to save some money with going with the 16gb version. I just won't get the speaker available on the 2nd gen.
  6. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Winterboard is a full fledged theming application which allows you to customize your iPod in nearly every aspect. TuneWiki is a lyric finding program. Zodttd makes a wonderful collection of emulators and ports. Many more are available; Cydia has a near complete list.
  7. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nearly everything, aside from the 1 or 2 Apple Apps (Remote) is third party. Made by other developers, distributed on the App Store. Over 10,000 Apps/Games combined.