Jailbreaking the ipsw

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by palz, May 22, 2010.

1. palz

palz Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I was wanting to enable some features for my device, via the IPSW because cydia f_cks things up when you run it (to install SSH or afc2), and spirit does not install afc2 by default.

I have tried just modifying, decompressing and recompressing the dmgs, but it fails some signature check, forcing me to restore.

So.. can I modify the source of spirit so it installs afc2 (like with the /resources folder in QuickPwn) or can I jailbreak the firmware itself and allow the modified features?
  2. ipodholic

ipodholic Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Cydia doesn't do anything wrong to your device. There are hundreds of thousands of people using it - no problems.
  3. palz

palz Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well... it renames folders and adds junky files. I just need one application installed: afc2add. So its not worth messing (clogging) stuff up.
  4. dude245

dude245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    if you dont want it, jailbreak with redsn0w and uncheck "install cydia"... i dont really see the point in that thougb
  5. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    He is on a 3G iPod Touch, so I am sure he wants the untethered jailbreak. If you don't want Cydia... maybe try seeing if you can modify the Spirit Jailbreak for linux to install a .deb of afc2add and not Cydia.
  6. palz

palz Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thats what I mean. Has @comex released the source code yet? Because the Linux version source, I cannot open the freeze.tar.xz (if that contains the .deb for cydia that I replace with afc2add). The reason I do this is because jailbreaking (because I inevitably install mods that slow it down) makes the device less useable.

And I could keep cydia. Just have afc2 installed also.