Jailbreaking the 2g Itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mike420, Mar 4, 2009.

1. mike420

mike420 New Member

Okay well my friend showed me his itouch 2nd gen and told me it was jailbroken so i had to get me one and i did and i was askin him what all to do and he said come here and post cuase yall would know eveyrthing and if i had problems yall could help. so yeah i was wondering what in the hell do i do ive tried one method of it but my itouch woudl just black screen so i had to keep restoring it. so any help woudl be greatly appreciated
  2. rcfreak339

rcfreak339 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
  3. -Kerrigan-

-Kerrigan- New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Uhh, I don't get what you mean by "black screen". Maybe you didn't boot it? Or was it in DFU?
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you don't know, and have a friend that can do it for you, then just tell him to come over to your house and do it for you, then ask him to tell you how to boot it.
  5. newton1221

newton1221 New Member

wow, why would you link him to semi tethered, that is much more problematic than regular tethered

try this one, its super noob friendly and there are youtube tutorials on the first post

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141302

edit: oh and if you are using vista then make sure you install libusb in COMPATIBILITY MODE FOR WINDOWS XP SP2, otherwise it'll mess up your computer
  6. Miga

Miga New Member

It's currently impossible to jailbreak an iTouch 2G from what I hear, but if you have a iPod Touch 2G then the guide that newton1221 posted will work just fine.
  7. mike420

mike420 New Member

whats the difference between tethered and untethered? also i see alot of ppl talking about booting the ipod, what in the heck are they talkin about like when ppl say booting it from the calculator and what not
  8. TheTerminator

TheTerminator New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay so tethered is when you are able to boot your iPod using a program running on your computer. The thing about people booting it off calculators is that their able to run a small command "run rs" that will boot redsn0w. Untethered means that you'll be able to boot into redsn0w without any computer or code. Semi-tethered is when you'll need to run a command to boot redsn0w but if you don't have anything it will boot into a normal non jailbroken state.
  9. mike420

mike420 New Member

there is no untethered for the second generation is there? if not my best bet is to go semi thether (if i can figure it out lol) and to use my ti calculator to boot it?
  10. HM82

HM82 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You could do that.