Jailbreaking my new 2G Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by artmanc, Feb 10, 2009.

1. artmanc

artmanc New Member

Hi,

I've just got a new iPod Touch as a birthday present and am thinking about jailbreaking it. I'm pretty new to this stuff so have been reading and think I have a basic grasp of what needs to be done. But really can't afford to screw it up so would appreciate all the help and advice you can give me.

So far I understand I need to use redsnow. Is that the only option? Seems a little complicated, but hope its easier when your actually doing it.
    Any good idiots guides that you guys used?
    Youtube video maybe?
    Has anyone managed to break their touch doing this?
    Will this invalidate my warranty?

Thanks for the help, a little scared I'm gonna screw my new present up

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. manutdman5

manutdman5 New Member

resn0w is the only way of jailbreaking, when you jb though it is 'tethered' meaning that when you turn off or restart your iPod, you have to connect it to a computer to boot it, otherwise you will just be left with a black screen. JB is reversable though, if you dont like it then yo can restore the iPod to an original firmware. If you send your iPod back to apple and its JB then it will invalidate your warranty, like i said though the JB is reversable. It is easier when you actually doing it.

I JB my iPod using a guid from pheonix, just search the forums and you will find it, IMO its the easiest simplest guide, whatever you do though FOLLOW THE INSTUCTIONS! And dont think your iPod is bricked, its not.
  3. StaticFX

StaticFX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Go for it.. you CANNOT brick it (ruin it)

I used Cyw00ds GUI.. worked perfect. Done it a few times now. if you get stuck... DONT PANIC... SEARCH the forum. the answers are there.
  4. TomboFry

TomboFry Member

I would recommend Cyw00d's GUI. I helped someone jb theirs, and it was successful!
    Best of all, you don't need to have libUSB installed before you run it, you can click on a button and it installs it straight away! It also works on Vista and XP. So it's best if you want it simple.
    But remember every time you boot it, you need to boot it with the program.
  5. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

There is not a risk. You cannot screw it up. Unless you do something entirely different from the tutorial, you won't ruin it.

There are tons of tutorials and tools. Look and read around a bit. You'll find a good tool, and you'll also find out more about what you're doing.

It will invalidate your warranty. Restoring to a non-jailbroken firmware (which will always be possible via DFU mode) will restore your warranty.

Also, as common sense that it is, remember that it is a tethered jailbreak. Please do not post a thread after you install Winterboard and your iPod goes to reboot and then turns black. Instead, connect it to a computer and boot it up.
  6. artmanc

artmanc New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I just ended up ordering the Nitro Key today instead. I hope its as easy as they say. Anyways I should find out tomorrow.
  7. shiben589

shiben589 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    o dude, ur screwed!
    u shoulda just gotten redtool!!!!!! nitrokey is unverified, u wasted ur money on suttin free, and redtool is easy, theres no way to screw up ur ipod, so u should cancel ur order
    if u want help, ill guide u thru redtool
  8. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

First off...

THANK YOU for not being an illiterate noob! All I see nowadays are noobs saying "OH sh*t i've figgen brikked mah itouch! oh noes!" So thank you for using correct spelling and grammar. Makes our job much easier.

On to the show. redsn0w. redsn0w is the code name for the iPod touch 2G jailbreak that the iPhone dev team has been working on for a few months now. This is a TETHERED jailbreak, which means that every time you turn off your iPod, you will have to turn it back on by connecting it to a computer and running some code.

I recommend you do it. There are no risks involved, the worst case scenario is that you have to "restore" your iPod back to factory settings. Yes, this WILL void your warranty, but nothing a quick restore can't fix. Your warranty will be intact and ready to go.

WHICH JAILBREAK:

For now, I suggest you get the tethered jailbreak, and not the semi-tethered. The semi has too much problems at this moment, and there are a lot of jailbroken apps that won't work, or will not let the iPod boot.

Hope this helped!
  9. artmanc

artmanc New Member

Hmmmm, I wasn't really sure what to do. I posted on Macrumours aswell and someone said redsnow is complicated and not easy. So I got a little scared.

The Nitro Key has been shipped now, so I might aswell give it a try tomorrow. Otherwise I'll take you up on your offer if thats ok.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Thanks. I try to make up for my scaredy catness by atleast keeping my posts readable

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. shiben589

shiben589 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i get where ur coming from man, redsnow seems really complicated, but the tools make it very easy!

also, if nitro key actually works, could u post on here about it? i wanna noe so maybe i could get one (my parents wont allow me to build a dongle myself, dern)