Jailbreaking my 2g

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by jayjay960, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jayjay960

jayjay960 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, so, I have a 2g ipod Touch with the 2.2 firmware, and I'm running on Windows XP, and I want to Jailbreak it.

I've been following the iphone/chronic dev-teams and I know that only a tethered jailbreak is available right now but I figure that I may as well Jailbreak my ipod using that since I rarely turn my ipod off anyway, and I could just keep it on the wall charger overnight. But before I go straight into it, these are the things I'd like to know:

1. Is there any risk of bricking it? Is there anything that I could do wrong to stop me from being able to restore it?
    2. I know that it will wipe my ipod completely, but can someone take me through the steps of saving and restoring a backup so that I don't lose all my settings/app data?
    3. How long will it take me?
    4. If I have to remove the jailbreak for any reason, once I've jailbroken it again can I backup/restore all my jailbroken apps and their data easily?
    5. What will Jailbreaking it give me apart from Themes and 3rd-party apps?
    6. Who here has done it and recommends that I do too?
  2. gonn3liito

gonn3liito New Member

Okey, i have the exact same questions that you have.

Only that i'm running on Vista.
  3. HckrSvn

HckrSvn Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Dang... You read my mind with those questions... I will be watching this topic.
    PS. I will let you know if I find out anything in regards to your questions

~HckrSvn
  4. Bwopp

Bwopp Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Seeing as I have the 1st generation touch it will be hard for me to help.

But to make a backup is easy

1.Open up iTunes and plug in your iPod cancel the Sync if it does it or wait for it to Sync
    2. On the left side right click where it says 'xxxxx's iPod' (or whatever it is called) under devices
    3. And press back up

This file will be in

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

And to restore from backup just right click the same place and press 'Restore from backup'
  5. Jim Ver

Jim Ver New Member

I have one more question

If i jailbroken it can i still sync music with my pc doesn't it remove my 3th party apps ??
  6. Bwopp

Bwopp Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    No iTunes just recognises them as 'other' you can still Sync and not lose them
  7. duma8232

duma8232 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    im no expert.
    1.im not completely sure,but i dont think you can.
    3.it took me about 30 minutes to JB my iPod,but i did have some trouble along the way,
    so it could be less.and its not hard thanks to the noob friendly guides in this forum(perfect for someone like me).
    4.when you remove the JB and restore your ipod it goes back to factory settings,
    that means everything will be deleted including 3rd party apps.
    5.dont know. thats pretty much all you get,but believe me its worth it.
    6. i Jail-broke or jail-breaked my iPod, i dont know the correct term.
    you will enjoy your iPod much more after you JB it.
    if it helps you i used this following guide: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137903
    good luck!
  8. Jaikob

Jaikob New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    1. No. Only way to brick is to modify hardware.
    2. I believe a "Complete" backup is not possible.
    3. How long will it take me? If you use a tool, and have the files downloaded, 15 mins.
    4. Definitely, pop it into DFU, and restore to factory settings.
    5. You can browse and store files, and my favorite, I can play ROMS on my ipod.
    6. Just follow any windows guide and you should be set. If you have any second thoughts DO NOT DO IT. There have been too many threads about "Bricking" when infact they just need to put their iPod into DFU to boot it.
  9. jayjay960

jayjay960 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok then I think I've made up my mind that I'll do it. Although, I'm going to have to wait until the 15th when my downloads reset if I want to download the 2.2.1 ipsw.