Jailbreaking iTouch 3rd Gen questions..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dragon821, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dragon821

Dragon821 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey all, I'm new to the forum and have never performed a jailbreaking process before. I'm getting the iPod Touch 3rd Gen 32GB in the next coupla weeks, and also considering jailbreaking it. Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong section!

I understand that as of yet the only jailbreak is a tethered jailbreak - of which I don't really have a problem with, I doubt I'll turn off the iTouch that much - if I do, I'm sure 30 seconds re-jailbreaking isn't gonna kill me.

I was wondering if anybody could help answer some or all of the following questions:

1 - When un-jailbreaking, apps installed off of Cydia/Rock are lost (I've heard they are, but need confirmation)

2 - Is it worth getting a tethered jailbreak via blackra1n, or is this 'greenpois0n' release something I should wait for, even though it probably won't be untethered?

3 - Let's say I have a tethered jailbroken device, have downloaded apps, and the untethered jailbreak is released.. Will I lose the apps from the tethered jailbreak, because I need to un-jailbreak in order to re-jailbreak to the untethered method?

Many thanks in advance, sorry for rambling so much! xD
  2. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    1. Yes, they are lost.
    2. Greenp0ison won't be released anytime soon.
    3. Someone might make a way to make it untethered from a tethered jailbreak. Most likely though you will have to start from scratch, losing all jailbroken apps.
  3. Dragon821

Dragon821 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks a lot for that info. Has there been an untethered release of blackra1n before, maybe on a second gen iDevice? (in the hope that maybe blackra1n would release an untethered jailbreak method, keeping tethered jailbroken apps)
  4. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Blackra1n is untethered for 2nd gen iPod touch.

And the 24kpwn patch alowed us to go from tethered to untethered. It was pretty risky though.
  5. Dragon821

Dragon821 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hmm ok, I'll keep that in mind. No way of backing up jailbroken apps I suppose? I think I probably will go for the tethered jailbreak, and wait for whenever/if ever the untethered jailbreak comes out.
  6. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    There is a way to back them up so you don't lose them. It's called aptbackup. It's on cydia. Just open the app, press backup, then backup normally with iTunes.
  7. Dragon821

Dragon821 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Oh wow! Sounds awesome

Please Register or Log in to view images

thank you BOTH for your time, sorry for asking such nooby questions! I'll probably be more active on these forums once the iTouch comes

8. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Ok, glad we could help.

Hope to see you around, the iPod touch is a great device, hope you enjoy it!
  9. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Glad I could help, and they were just common questions for newcomers, it's normal.

10. Dragon821

Dragon821 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks for your help guys! Just unboxed the i*Pod* Touch today

ended up getting the 64GB! About to jailbreak with blackra1n, but there was another question that popped into my head that I forgot to ask, sorry!

If the device is turned off, and becomes unjailbroken, will the JB apps also be removed?