Jailbreaking Ipod Touch 8GB 3.1.3 (3G I Think)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cRaNk3d, Mar 30, 2010.

1. cRaNk3d

cRaNk3d New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I know this may get annoying for some of you...

I just want to clear one thing up, is there such thing as a 8GB 3rd Gen Ipod Touch?

Either way, I just want some clear instructions on jail breaking it. I've got blackra1n already downloaded on my pc, so I'm ready to go.

I've checked the forums and I saw some threads saying you must first downgrade from 3.1.3 (my current version) to 3.1.2 in order to jailbreak, is this true?

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277497

The thread I saw with some instructions on downgrading was that one above, but there was a lot of disagreeing going on, and the guy who posted it is banned. so don't know what to think.

If somebody could just clarify and help me out id be grateful.

P.S My Ipod came with 3.1.2 Installed.

Thanks!
  2. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Short answer: No.

Technical answer: No.

Politically correct answer: No, but with an explanation.

What Apple is currently selling is the 2nd generation 8GB iPod touch with a newer boot room inside, as I understand it. That is the ONLY difference between the "3rd gen" model and the original 2nd gen model. The hardware is the same, it doesn't have the faster CPU, nor the enhanced GPU, etc - it's the 2nd gen model with new boot code, basically.

The new ones that do have the 3rd gen boot rom inside are commonly spotted by the MC model number, but there are "3rd gen" models out there - that started selling after the 3rd gen was introduced - that still have MB model numbers.

If you have an 8GB iPod touch "3rd gen" (it'll have just two lines of text on the back under the 8GB engraving) and it's currently running 3.1.3 then yes, you can downgrade to 3.1.2 using the Shift+Restore option in Windows (and Option+Restore in OSX, I think) and then use blackra1n to get a tethered Jailbreak.

It's not untethered, again, as I understand it (never dealt with the 8GB model yet so I don't have firsthand knowledge but there's countless threads about this here).

8GB iPod touch "3rd gen" = downgrade to 3.1.2 then blackra1n for tethered Jailbreak.

If I'm wrong someone will say so...
  3. cRaNk3d

cRaNk3d New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just a bit puzzled on the whole Shift+Restore part. I've done that on itunes but it's asking me to browse for a file. Is this file already supposed to be on my computer or should i be downloading this from somewhere? sorry again..