Jailbreaking ipod touch 2nd gen (and a little scared XD)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by ryotakatsuki, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ryotakatsuki

ryotakatsuki New Member

Hi all.

Today I tried redsn0w on my ipod touch 2nd gen and after a few issues entering DFU mode, I have finally jailbroken it, or so i think. After the process is finalized, my ipod remains expecting to be restored by iTunes. I have read some things about how to do it but as redsn0w have just been released, I don't know if the stuff I read is still valid. What I need to now is if my current situation is the expected after running redsn0w and, if it is, how can I upgrade to a custom firmware?

I know this could sound really annoying, asking something that is already posted, but I'm a little scaried about my (little and shinny) ipod and want to meke sure if all is ok. I'm very noob on this, so, be gentle please, this is my first time ;-)... XD.

Thanks all in advance.
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

If you use the resn0w quickpwn released that was today, you won't need to restore, other than that use GUI's.

An there's nothing to be scared of.
  3. ryotakatsuki

ryotakatsuki New Member

4. planetbeing

planetbeing New Member

Hi, I can't think of a single plausible explanation for what happened to you. The most likely ones are that there was something unexpected in the initial state of your iPod.

1. How many apps, and how much music did you have installed? (i.e. was it nearly full?)

2. Was your iPod on firmware 2.2.1?

3. Did the process get interrupted in anyway during the "progress bar" stage?

The other possibility is some kind of a race condition, but this isn't too likely. It's probably something to do with the iPod's initial state.

In any case, you should use iTunes to restore your iPod to stock. Just hit Restore in iTunes and say yes that you want to "Restore and update" your iPod. That resets your iPod to a baseline state that is easily handleable by any jailbreak programs or advice you may receive. After your restore your iPod, you should repeat the redsn0w process. It should work fine this time.

5. ryotakatsuki

ryotakatsuki New Member

I'm not sure which firmware I was using but maybe the ipod was nearly full but I think I had some hundreds of MB. Maybe was that, I will try again. Thanks!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Hi all, I had a lot of problems using itunes to restore my ipod (error 1611 i think it was) but finnally I manage to restore it. It seem itunes don't like running on a virtual machine. After restoring, I tried again and all went well. I'm really happy

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks a lot for your help!