iOS 4.0 jailbreaking iPhone 3G :D

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Stemoy, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    So I bought a used iPhone today, $150 for an 8gig that's literally 2 months old with an otterbox case for free. First off, is this a good deal? I felt it was at least.
    So now I'm going to jailbreak it with redsn0w on 4.0. I'm on 3.1.3 with it right now, I'd use Spirit but I want custom boot logos

Please Register or Log in to view images

Do I neeeed to update to 4.0 before running redsn0w or can I just select the ipsw in it and it just update it for me?
  2. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    update to 4.0 then run redsn0w
  3. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You have to be on the firmware that the version of redsn0w jailbreaks for it to work. So in short, yeah you have to be on 4.0
  4. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    so I have to be online when I do right? I can update to 4.0 from my downloaded ipsw and not update to whatever is out now? I just don't want to have to download the entire file on dialup lol
  5. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    ya just use the downloaded 4.0 IPSW then run redsn0w when the update is done
    and yes you do have to have internet otherwise the restore process will fail
  6. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Well I'm trying to right now but it had an error when I did. I'm not using 4.01, but I'm on a 3G so I thought that I could put any firmware on it without verification by Apple. I used 'update' though. Should I use Restore?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    error 3194 when I used the restore button, if that helps.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I see that it's being soft signed by Apple? So I can upgrade to 4.01 once I'm out sometime and then downgrade to 4.0 with redsn0w I assume? I'll use Spirit for now, it's not a major deal, I just want custom boot/recovery logos.
  7. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can use redsn0w with 4.0.1 if you just point it at a 4.0 ipsw when it asks (even though you're on 4.0.1 it will still work)
  8. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    You can still jailbreak on 4.0.1 if I remember correctly. Because all it does it change some signal readings. No other changes at all.
  9. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I jailbroke on 3.1.3 instead, at least for now. I might update and jailbreak again if I reallyy want to but I don't think I will until comex comes out with his jailbreak solution since it'll probably just be one click and all.