Jailbreaking iPad Cons?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ((( Sunn Aphex ))), Jun 2, 2010.

1. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

((( Sunn Aphex ))) New Member

Device:
    iPad
    What are they?

I won't be using backgrounder or any themes, and I won't be using too many 3rd party apps......I already know it voids the warrenty, but this can easily be solved with a restore.

I am worried if I jailbreak my iPad it will make it have less battery life and/or it will make it slower. I haven't jailbroken any iDevices in a while so I want to make sure before I jailbreak my iPad
  2. EMH

EMH Active Member

I haven't noticed a drain on battery unless I'm using a lot of springboard extensions (like Infiniboard). As for speed, I've noticed this quite a bit. The most noticeable for me is when switching from your first page to the Spotlight page, it lags quite a bit for me while the keyboard is popping up. Speaking of the keyboard, I'll also get occasional keyboard lags, which is disappointing because the iPad's keyboard is so great.
    There are also some weird issues I've had with touch not being recognized correctly. For example in Safari I would go to tap a bookmark on the bookmarks bar but instead it would register it as a tap to the address bar. Also, for some reason every minute or so it will ask me to sign into iTunes. That was fixed with a restore, but it was still really annoying.

I ended up restoring yesterday. I'm going to wait until the jailbreak is a bit more stable and doesn't have as many annoying quirks.
  3. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    It's not the jailbreak that is at fault. The current firmware of the iPad is very buggy. It includes tidbits from iPhone OS 4 that aren't finished, and stuffs from iPhone OS 3.1.x. The search page will lag indefinitely because now whenever you switch to it, the screen will turn darker gradually, requiring a lot of processing cycles. Even the background may also effect your performance because Apple opted to putting a shadow over each and every one of your icons for some reason, then they even went as far as putting a gradient shade to darken the background gradually on top and bottom. So the iPad has to handle over twice the load of older iPhone firmwares, and that is by default.

The keyboard lags even by default because, again, Apple is doing too many things at once in terms of graphical check. If you disable the graphics for overlays and the likes then the keyboard will no longer lag. The beta iPhone OS 4 is also experiencing these problems, but Apple likely isn't aware of it, and will still leave them the way they are in the final version, which will suck... indefinitely.
  4. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

((( Sunn Aphex ))) New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Thanks for your replies, I won't be jailbreaking until the firmware is more stable.
  5. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Well, actually, whether you jailbreak it or not, it'll still be unstable. That's what I meant. In fact, you may even be able to make it more stable after you jailbreak it...
  6. Cokegod

Cokegod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Two big cons I have noticed:
    1. Sometimes when you are connected to Wi-Fi you don't see the signal icon in the status bar, a respring can solve that.
    2. Installing OpenSSH will disable location settings, it can only be fixed by removing OpenSSH.
  7. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

I *think* I read that you can re-enable it after installing SSH by flicking the switch in SBSettings.
  8. ShadowKing

ShadowKing Member

Device:
    iPad
    So far, I haven't noticed a change in battery life or anything really. It's still super smooth and fast. The wifi bug with openssh was fixed with a simple line of code changed, that you can do if you have ifile. It's worth it just for the little tweaks you can do.