Jailbreaking for newbies

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kellyclore, Jan 18, 2009.

1. kellyclore

kellyclore New Member

I received my first ipod (the ipod touch 2g) for christmas. Originally, I registered to this site to find out how to get the emoticons in games and messages. Now, I'm very interested in "jailbreaking" my ipod. Could someone please explain the benefit of this? Also, is there somewhere to get step-by-step instructions how? I like the idea of themes, 3rd party apps, etc, but i'm really not great with computer language, so maybe this will be too complicated for me? Basically, I just want a run down on why people jailbreak their ipods, what you can do after you have, and an idea of how complicated this all is. Finally, if I'm just really not smart enough to handle all of this, is there somewhere to just get the little smileys, cute designs, etc? I downloaded Frostyplace, but "Emoji" is not an option under Keyboard Settings - Japanese. I'm assuming this is because my ipod is not jailbroken?
  2. awesomo

awesomo New Member

There is no jailbreak for the ipod touch yet. But it's coming very soon. (I heard before the end of the month) Check @redsn0w.com
  3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Jailbreaking allows you to have 3rd party apps not allowed on the App Store and allows you to have themes. It can be complicated at first, but after browsing through iPtf you will learn more and more. When I jailbroke my iPod a year ago I jailbroke it for themes. I saw a pic on google and was amazed and shocked by it that I instantly had to do it. There will probably be a how to guide when the 2G jailbreak is released
  4. Pwnzorz

Pwnzorz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Jailbreaking is pretty much the process of opening up the iPod Touch's security. With a jailbreak you can do a lot of stuff you can't without a jailbreak such as changing themes,sounds,boot logo's, applications from cydia that were not accepted from the app store and many other cool things. The dev team strives to make it as user friendly as possible so all you have to do i plug in your iPod, click some buttons and your done. I hope that summarizes everything. Look around the forum to learn more about jailbreaking. There currently is no released jailbreak for the 2g but it should be released in a matter of days,weeks.
  5. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    That summarizes it so well i still have no idea why i would want to jailbreak (other than the eternal war of man vs. machine, and consumer vs. apple).
    Maybe if someone actually listed apps and "many other cool things" specifically it would be helpful.
    I suspect that there's nothing I can't live without, but how do I know?
    Oh yeah, I suck, I should google it.
  6. konungr

konungr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Think of a PC that only allows you to install certain programs that Microsoft has to certify (after receiving a fee to join their dev team). Then think of a normal PC that allows you to do pretty much whatever you want with it.
  7. Cruuncher

Cruuncher Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i like this metaphor

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Reminds me of my first visit to an Indian restaurant. I asked the waiter what you do with the chutney he said, "Anything you want?" Wasn't very helpful.
    Could you please name a few apps that I can't have without jailbreaking, and what they do.
  9. zeipodtouchguru

zeipodtouchguru New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Cydia, install, NES, mxtube. Those are the good ones.