Jailbreaking Fail.

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by ALBIM, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ALBIM

ALBIM New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm a noob at any jailbreaking, and new to the scene of it, but I can't get my damn iPod to jailbreak for the life of me. I'm getting frustrated. I realize that many people here don't want n00bs such as myself asking for help, but any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I got very excited when the tethered 2G JB was released, and went immediately to veryniceipod's tutorial for the mac jailbreak (http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137683).

If it matters, I'm running 10.4.11 on an iBook G4. So basically, a somewhat old laptop.

Here's the steps I take (for the tl;dr people, I basically follow the steps, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I suspect it's something to do with my downloading of the libusb pkg):

download rslite, pwnage tool, the firmwares (felixbruns.de), and the attachments, as well as the libusb. I put all of this into the rslite folder (the pwnage tool is mounted first and the .app is dragged, not the .dmg file), and then I install the libusb file inside the folder. I also rename the firmware files to 211.ipsw and 221.ipsw.

I then do the terminal commands.

Then I go to the pwnage tool and follow the instructions. The build is successful and I remembered to uncheck the custom logos. I fill out my admin pass. and then when it finishes I click yes and go on my merry way.

Then I do the terminal cmnds. Wait for it to be done.

I then plug the iPod into the computer. Since the first time I tried the jailbreak, the ipod has not been recognized except one chance moment. I put said ipod into DFU (hold sleep and home for 10s, then release sleep and hold home for 7s.)

This is where the problem comes in. I do the terminal commands and it either says "cannot execute binary file" or "event not found". When my ipod is supposed to turn white (the screen), it never does. I failed. I've tried several times now. The ipod isn't recognized by itunes and it doesn't charge unless I use my wall charger. Help? Please and thank you.
  2. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I don't think that redsn0w is PPC compatible. Don't hold me to it, though.
  3. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'm also pretty sure it isn't PPC ready

Please Register or Log in to view images

srry about that. although I think I heard about a modded version for PPC.
  4. ALBIM

ALBIM New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ah. Damn.

does anyone have an intel mac they can give me?

as for the modded version...link pl0x

edit: any ideas on the best way to get the ipod into DFU? Varied times for the button pressing (sleep and home and then home only) has been unsuccessful. Is it in DFU if I get the message telling me to connect it to itunes?
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You're in DFU Mode if iTunes prompts you that it's ready to be restored (eg. iTunes detects a device in restore mode).

And you should follow this:

Step 1. Turn off your iPod.

Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.

Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.

Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode.
  6. ALBIM

ALBIM New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    edit: well, my archaic iBook just needed a restart to recognize the ipod. My ports are very slowly dying a painful death.

But I still have another question...is it possible to jailbreak on a vista or XP computer and then re-sync it to my mac and still have it jailbroken?