JailBreaking and Touch Updates

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tamgoose, Oct 16, 2007.

1. tamgoose

tamgoose New Member

Can someone just clear this one up for me...

Ok, I Jailbreak my touch and then a firmware update comes out for the touch.. if i update will this mess things up? will the jailbreak be voided? or will it have no effect?

thanks in advance
  2. Penguin

Penguin New Member

if you try and update your ipod touch will most likely be bricked or something to that effect. You won't want to update the firmware right away or possibly at all.

Besides if apple comes out with some amazing new feature with the firmware update, I'm sure that you'll just be able to add it on via a hacker's method.
  3. synagence

synagence New Member

On the surface of it, there should be no reason to not just restore ipod to 1.1.1 then update...

The main problems with iphones getting bricked was due to the modem update (controlling the phone park) to make it sim-free ... this technically doesn't apply with ipod

Best advice is, unless you REALLY want the features apple releases.. wait until the community gives an all-clear or a stay-away message

It was clear from the community with hacked (sim-free) iphones the community said wait ... but people didn't and bricked them

Those that just jailbroke their iphones for 3rd party apps were actually ok...

However, the iphone 1.1.1 update DID brick some default untouched iphones as well.... so it could have just been a bad implementation or something deliberate.

So to repeat .... if you hacked your ipod .... wait until TUAW.com, engadget.com or digg.com have messages of all clear.
  4. tamgoose

tamgoose New Member

thanks for your detailed answers.