Jailbreaking and SSH

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by hawtie, Jan 1, 2010.

1. hawtie

hawtie New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Temporary jailbreak: (tethered 3G)

If i were to use a jailbreak application to rename certain apps and then turn it off and back on (which would remove the tetehred jailbreak), would the app still remain renamed?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    also, if i use jailbreaking to remove certain apps (like calendar, stocks, whatever else), is there anyway to untether it, and have these apps remain removed?
  2. jjesusfreak01

jjesusfreak01 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Probably not. I don't know of a way to untether a tethered jailbreak like you describe. If you restart your ipod, you will need to rejailbreak to get off of the restore screen.

If they develop a semi-tethered jailbreak, then who knows, this might be possible, but for now it isn't.

BTW, if you want to remove a jailbreak without restoring completely, download the firmware for your ipod, and then do a shift-update in iTunes. This will remove all jailbroken programs, but leave everything else in place.
  3. Cisafl

Cisafl New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Sorry, as a new person, what would be a "semi-teathered jailbreak"?
  4. Cdeveringham

Cdeveringham New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    WHAT IS SSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    help help help help help help help help help help help help help help help help help help help!
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell

Fist off you need to be jailbroken of course.

Use WinSCP on PC or Cyberduck on Mac and install OpenSSH from Cydia to enable Secure Shell (SSH) file transfers over WiFi from your computer to your iDevice and vice versa.

Alternatively use a USB cable transfer prog like iFunBox or iPhone Folders.. don't forget to install afc2add from Cyida if you have used blackra1n to jailbreak - you'll need this to enable full root folder viewing.

If you don't understand any of the phrases I have used then try searching on iPtF forums here, Google and Wikipedia...