Jailbreaking and Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Fizzbit, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Fizzbit

Fizzbit New Member

Hello. I'm a newbie, so please excuse any repeats. I noticed that when making the new thread it has a "Hay your topic looks like these!" feature (which is very nifty, I might say, I will be notifying all the other boards I visit).

Anyway.

I got an iPod Touch 2G for my birthday last week and I'm absolutely loving it. But there are so many jailbreaking apps out there that I want.

My dad bought the extended warranty through Apple along with my touch, and I'm just wondering - is the touch reliable enough that I won't need to really use this warranty?

And is jailbreaking worth it? (When the 2G jailbreak becomes available, if it isn't already)
  2. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    you cannot jailbreak the 2g ipod touch yet
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What Jailbreak apps do you want?
  4. Fizzbit

Fizzbit New Member

at Bapes- I understand that, but what I'm asking is, put against the warranty, is jailbreaking worth it?

Teslanaut - there's an NES emulator I've been looking at (don't own a PSP for those who think that portable emulation should be restricted to that), and the Bossprefs App so I can remove default apps I don't want. I'm still looking at a lot of others, but those are the ones I know I want right off the bat.
  5. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Jailbreaking doesn't void your warranty, so I don't see what Jailbreaking has to do with any of this.

All you have to do is restore and they have no clue you ever jailbroke.

But no, you shouldn't have to use that warranty unless you really mess it up.
  6. *Soul~Of~iTouch*

*Soul~Of~iTouch* New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How does jailbreaking not void your warranty? The EULA says that you can't modify the firmware which you did so you broke the EULA and hence, there isn't a warranty anymore.
  7. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Obviously you don't ship it to them when it's jailbroken.

You restore it back to original firmware, and there is no evidence that you ever modified the firmware.

The only way a jailbreak would void your warranty would be if it was a hardware jailbreak. And that won't ever be the case, despite what retarded people here say.
  8. *Soul~Of~iTouch*

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know.

I know that you don't ship to them when its jailbroken but when you jailbreak, you void the warranty, that's a fact. I don't care if people ship to them when its jailbroken(trust me, people do that actually!) but the fact that its jailbroken remains and jailbroken == void warranty.

And yes, I'll rather live with an unjailbroken iPod than do a hardware jailbreak.

BTW, for all you newbies out there, there isn't a 2nd Gen jailbreak right now, not even a hardware one...
  9. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay, going by technicalities here... Yes, jailbreaking voids the warranty. But as that's true, Restoring your iPod unvoids (is that even a word?) the warranty, and your warranty is back in place.

But again, there is not and will never be a hardware jailbreak. That whole concept was misunderstood. Chronic is only playing around with hardware ideas to find the software jailbreak.

Anyways, to sum it up:

Jailbreak > Warranty voided
    Hitting Restore > Warranty is back!
  10. *Soul~Of~iTouch*

Device:
    iPod touch
    My point exactly!

Please Register or Log in to view images

But apparantly mate, hitting the "Restore" button is very hard cause a lot of people seem to be posting threads like "OMG!!!@*#&$^*#*$#I BRICKED MY IPOD!!!(*#%(@*#$)" when they easily avoided the flaming by searching for a method to put their iPods into recovery/DFU and restore!

Oh, and if there a hardware jailbreak is really needed, then DevTeam/Chronic Dev are going out of business for sure!