Jailbreaking, and a couple of other things (help)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Super Bagel, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Super Bagel

Super Bagel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm wanting to jailbreak my iPod Touch 2G running 2.2.1.
    I understand the process of jailbreaking, but is redsn0w 0.3 the best to use for my firmware?
    Also, if I jailbreak with redsn0w, do I lose anything?
    Like if I did jailbreak with redsn0w, would I lose all of my paid for apps, songs, photos etc. or
    would you still have all of them as if it was like nothing happened (apart from Cydia being there)?

I heard iTunes 8.2 stops you from jailbreaking, so I downgraded to 8.1.1.
    I want to backup my iPod Touch so that if anything does go wrong, I can just restore from that,
    but it's taking forever! It's been backing up for over 1 and a half hours and it's only 25% done.
    Is this normal? It pauses around 60% and just stays there. It's happened the two other times I've tried it.
    Could it be a corrupt file or something like that stopping it?

Thanks.
  2. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    redsn0w leaves song apps etc. untouched. As for the backup problem have you tried reinstalling itunes/deleting the backup?
  3. PurpleRa1n

PurpleRa1n Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    if you didn't want to use redsn0w, you could always find a copy of good old quickPWN 2.2.5-2 and use that to jailbreak 2g 2.2.1

just google for a quickPWN 2.2.5-2.zip
  4. Super Bagel

Super Bagel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, I've tried reinstalling iTunes. About deleting the backup, do you mean pevious backups?
    No, I do want to use redsn0w, because like the dark side of the pod said it leaves everthing untouched. Does it matter if I have over 140 paid for apps on my iPod? Also, is redsn0w untethered?
  5. PurpleRa1n

PurpleRa1n Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    nope it shouldn't matter as long as you have them transferred from your ipod to your computer
  6. Super Bagel

Super Bagel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Another question, is redsn0w untethered? Also, I've got everything that's on my iPod in my computer, but it hasn't backed up the state of my iPod.
    Does this mean that I can put all of them back on my iPod exactly in the same order etc. they are in now if something goes wrong with the jailbreak, or do I have to wait for it to backup?
  7. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    redsn0w is untethered but i'm not too sure what you mean about the second bit
  8. Super Bagel

Super Bagel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    About the second bit, when I downgraded from iTunes 8.2, I had to put everything back into iTunes from my iPod. So it copied everything, but it didn't actually backup the state the iPod was in. So if the jailbreak goes wrong, I'd have to restore, but would I be able to put all of my apps etc. back on in the order they were in the iPod? Does that explain it better? Also, thanks a lot both of you for the quick responses and help!
  9. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    if your ipod has been backep up and all your music, photos, apps etc are on itunes then you will be fine. make sure everything adheres to what i have said and you should be ready to go
  10. Super Bagel

Super Bagel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It hasn't actually said "backing up" near the window at the top of iTunes, but everything is in my computer (apps songs etc). So if something goes wrong in the jailbreaking process, will I be able to get everything back from iTunes onto my iPod?

Right, I'm going for it!

Damn, stuck at the boot logo...