Jailbreaking a Friend's iPod Touch; Some questions!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Noisemaker, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Ok, I'm going to be jailbreaking a friend's iPod Touch, but I need to know the best way to go about doing it.

First, can I jailbreak it on my Sony Vaio PC notebook (running Windows Vista) and still have him be able to use it on his Macbook when I'm done? I already have all the files on my notebook to do it; firmwares, ROMs for him, and QuickPwn. Not only that, but I'm completely experienced with all of the Windows programs (winSCP, QuickPwn), but have no experience with Macs.

Obviously, I wouldn't sync with my iTunes Library. I would just jailbreak his Touch, SSH in some extras like ROMs, and then have him sync his library from his Macbook.

Is that possible for me to do, or should I start researching the Mac equivalents of WinSCP and QuickPwn, and transfer all the files to a CD-R?

Next, will he be able to sync with both Macs and PCs easily? He said that he was told that he could only sync to one or the other, and to this day has only synced with his parent's PC. Should he have any trouble syncing with both his Macbook and his parent's PC? Again, I'm not a Mac user (yet.

Please Register or Log in to view images

) so I don't know what's correct on this matter.

Lastly, can I put jailbroken 2.1 firmware on his Touch even if it's already been updated to 2.2 firmware? Would it still just be a shift+click on Restore?

I'd appreciate any advice on this!
  2. msudude1885@aim.com

msudude1885@aim.com New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i did this the other way around (mac to pc) but sshing is just the same on mac (use cyberduck) and i didn't ssh anything to their ipod but you could restore the firmware in your computer and then sync it to his itunes and use swaptunes to sync it to another one and i think putting 2.1 from 2.2 with a shift+restore would work but im not sure

you could ssh from your computer because itunes doesn't have anything to do with that but 123locker now has a repo for 2.x with roms
  3. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

I'm not worried about doing it either way, but I'd greatly prefer to do it from my notebook - just because I already know how to do it all and have everything I need.

If I jailbreak from my notebook, will I just be able to set it up as a new iPod on his notebook?

Also, explain the swap tunes thing to me. I've never looked into it much. Would that allow this to work?
  4. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yes, You can. Jailbreak the device and when you give it to him all he will have to do is plug it into his computer and start syncing his music to his device. He will be able to update, restore, and basically tinker with anything he wants on his own computer.

Very possible

Music wise, he can only sync with one. IE. He has 2 songs on his mac, when he syncs with his PC it will delete the 2 songs and add the one song on the library.

This one I'm not completely sure of... On the older firmares you were able to just downgrade, but I'm not sure if your able to do it now with 2.x firmwares. So for this one, your better off waiting for another persons response.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask

5. msudude1885@aim.com

msudude1885@aim.com New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    just restore the firmware from your computer and set it up as a new ipod and then sync it to his computer

swaptunes is a cydia app where you touch it on the homescreen and the music and videos (i think it does videos too) are now empty
    then you sync to another account and that accounts music and vids are on it.
    whenever you want to switch accounts you just hit the swaptunes icon
    i don't think it will work for apps
  6. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Awesome. I'll just bring my notebook, do everything on it, then let him sync from his computer. Perfect.

Thanks for the help!

I'll wait for more info on downgrading firmware. I'll give him a call tomorrow morning and see what firmware he's running, and if he's not on 2.2, I'll just tell him to wait on upgrading.