jailbreaking a 1.1.4 jailbroke ipod touch to 2.1

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sephtouch, Sep 14, 2008.

1. sephtouch

sephtouch New Member

hi guys...wow its been a year already since the last time i checked out this stuff about jailbreaking, themes, summerboard etc...now ive been hearing a lot of stuff already about having an application that could access your ipod touch files without SSH, saving an image directly from your browser etc etc...to cut the story short, i was hoping if somebody could on the following :

- if i were to update my jailbroken ipod touch 1.1.4 to 2.1 the normal way -- through itunes, do i lost any application or current features that a 1.1.4 jailbroken ipod touch have, like the summerboard, installer etc...?

- is there a need to jailbreak a jailbroken ipod touch 1.1.4 in order to obtain the features that 2.1 have?

- if ever, could somebody guide me to where I could properly jailbreak my jailbroken ipod touch 1.1.4, with SOME MASSIVE FILES ON IT, to 2.1.

- do I have to back up my files on my ipod touch before updating my firmware to 2.1 the normal way (through itunes)? Or jailbreaking a 2.1 ipod touch updated from 1.1.4 at this time doesnt need already a backup and that we could just jailbreak an ipod touch without losing any files or data on it?

- what is the best way to retrieve photos (photo album), mp3 and video files to be able to save it to my pc? i tried using the pc suite but unfortunately it cant access or view my photo album so that i could download it.

anyway, thanks for going through with my thread. hope anyone could give me hand on this as im pretty much left behind on these stuffs already... thanks in advance!
  2. iPhone_Anyone?

iPhone_Anyone? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Im glad that ur back to the site!!

Right now u shouldn't upgrade to 2.1 cuz it's only been like a day since it was first jailbroken. But it's up to u. I no their is a way to backup ur iPod but I'm not sure u can do it with fw version 2.1. If anything, just upgrade to any 2.0.x firewares. 2.0 is great. The new features are amazing. And u get tons of great apps from the app store. Also u can jailbreak!!! Trust me 2.0 is very worth it. And u don't have to pay. U can get it for free. If u need help, just pm me?

Hope this helps!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Go to 2.1 if you're going to upgrade. It's the newest and the best.

1) You will lose everything
    2) What?
    3) You'll lose everything. You can SSH in and copy the files, but there's no way to upgrade without losing EVERYTHING.
    4) Things from 1.1.x will not work on 2.x
    5) Photos = no-no. Impossible, as they are encoded into some dumb file that only the iPod reads. SSH to /var/mobile/Media and copy Music and Videos to your computer

Just update, you won't regret it. Almost no one else has.
  4. SpartanPatriot

SpartanPatriot New Member

- if i were to update my jailbroken ipod touch 1.1.4 to 2.1 the normal way -- through itunes, do i lost any application or current features that a 1.1.4 jailbroken ipod touch have, like the summerboard, installer etc...?

Answer - If you were to upgrade to 2.1 then yes, you would lose everything. You would be granted with a freshly restored ipod touch and only the AppStore. No Cydia or Installer. You would need to re-jailbreak and then you could re-install those applications.

- is there a need to jailbreak a jailbroken ipod touch 1.1.4 in order to obtain the features that 2.1 have?

No. 1.1.4 has no ties with 2.0 and up.

- if ever, could somebody guide me to where I could properly jailbreak my jailbroken ipod touch 1.1.4, with SOME MASSIVE FILES ON IT, to 2.1.

There are tutorials on how to jailbreak 2.1 all over the place. You cannot jailbreak a 1.1.4 with 2.1. You need to update to 2.1 and then jailbreak.

- do I have to back up my files on my ipod touch before updating my firmware to 2.1 the normal way (through itunes)? Or jailbreaking a 2.1 ipod touch updated from 1.1.4 at this time doesnt need already a backup and that we could just jailbreak an ipod touch without losing any files or data on it?

I did not backup anything when go to 2.1. After you go to 2,.1 you have a fresh ipod with nothing on it. You must re-sync everything.

- what is the best way to retrieve photos (photo album), mp3 and video files to be able to save it to my pc? i tried using the pc suite but unfortunately it cant access or view my photo album so that i could download it.

You can SSH into it and then move the things to your computer. Besides that you should probably already have the files on your computer.
  5. sephtouch

sephtouch New Member

first of all, thanks to Itouchmaster, Gitykins and SpartanPatriot for taking the time in reading my thread and responding to it. Really appreciate the time youve spent answering my concern.

Anyway, here are my follow up questions :

- so far the iphone pc suite is working great in retrieving my videos and mp3. i did manage to retrieve them intact and with their exact filenames. but my question -- i know this has been answered already with itouchmaster -- is there anyway, anyway I could retrieve my photos (in photo album) properly and intact?

- if not, to where i could download the file (photo album) in my ipod touch if i were to SSH it -- the file that only ipod touch could understand it so that after jailbreaking to 2.1, ill just copy the file again and place it back to my ipod touch.

- would it be ok to ask for a link or a guide to how I could jailbreak my ipod touch after updating it to 2.1? i get to remember before when i have a 1.1.4 ipod touch, i need to go down to 1.1.1, then 1.1.2 then 1.1.3 and lastly 1.1.4 just to install the installer and every necessary things to make our ipod touch more lavish (do i get the right word? heheh). my jailbreaking of my ipod touch before was pretty old school since it was the time when everyone was pretty new about jailbreaking, and ziphone at that time isnt that stable yet. so do we have to undergo the same kind of process in order to obtain 2.1 jailbreak?

- ive read a thread that summerboard is no longer available in 2.1, how come?

- lastly, what are the things that i should know about 2.1? new features? pros and cons compare to 1.1.4? etc...

thanks again guys!
  6. iPhone_Anyone?

iPhone_Anyone? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    ok. i have found a program that alows u to retreve ur photos on ur ipod touch. go to http://www.copytrans.net/download-zip.php?program=CTP

i think its a trial version so use it quick. i tried the program and its amazing!! it worked fantasticly. it gives u ur pictures in files. so just put them in a specific folder and sync it to ur iPod.
    also on their main web site "copytrans.net" is a program that alows u to copy ur songs and videos. that is also a trail version and i tried it and it is also amazing. i think it is up to 250 songs and videos. but i tried to reinstall it to see if the amount will restart and it did!!! so now i can copy my songs as much as i want cuz of that little glitch.

anyways that answers ur first question

2nd, there are alot of guides all over the website to teach u in exact details on how to jailbreak ur ipod firmware 2.1.1. heres an example, http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97621

u have to have the 2.1.1 firmware to do it obveously so u have to pay if ur in 1.1.4. but u can also download it here at http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
    select the firmware u want and click download. u have to have itunes 8 to restore to 2.1.1.
    visit the apple website for that. and no u dont have to start at 1.1.1 to get up to the 2.1.1 fw.

3rd, summerboard is really not gone. its just gone for the 2.x firmwares. its still avaliable for 1.1.x firmwares but for 2.x its now called winterboard. its even better than summerboard cuz its an open source app. allowing u to change more than the theme with it.

4th!!!! finally!!, PROs: 2.1 is amazing!! the app store apps are very high quality apps and they are really fun. some u have to pay for but u can find it for free on the internet. (dont ask me for the link cuz i can get banned cuz ipodtouchfans doesn't allow that content to be talked about and i understand that).then once u get the app, all u have to do is ssh in to ur ipod and drag and drop. search youtube to find out everything about cracked apps. the new calculator is very nice and scientificy!! (lol) also it now features push and enterprize email, calender, and contacts. (like ur ever gonna use it if ur a kid) and now there is no need to download itransmography anymore!!! the new firmware now includes youtube flash support in safari. and in the mail, u can now view powerpoint presentations and pdf and a few other formats.

CONs: right now, i really dont seem to have any problems in 2.1 other than some minimum crashing now and then because of all the apps i download.

anyways!!!! phew!!!! finally done!!! lol

follow my instructions and u would be good to go!!!

your welcome!!!

iTouchmaster

7. SpartanPatriot

SpartanPatriot New Member

For the photos I do not know the exact folder they are in. I do know you can get them. Look around and I am sure you will find the instructions on how to do it.

You can upgrade to 2.1 and then use the latest quickpwn. It took me about 5 minutes to do and the quickpwn program has instructions on how to do it.
  8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

You CANNOT get photos off using SSH. They are encoded by iTunes into a special database type file that displays a sh*tload of binary to display your pictures. You won't be able to re-sync them if you get them from /var/mobile/Media/Photos.