Jailbreaking 16GB 1.1.4 ZiPhone on a Mac

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by alnandr, Mar 6, 2008.

1. alnandr

alnandr New Member

[REVISED] Jailbreaking 16GB 1.1.4 ZiPhone on a Mac

[REVISION 1]

The previous method that I posted here has troubled almost all of the Mac users that have tried to jailbreak their multi-NAND iPod touch (16/32GB), and after hours of research, the repeating command only works when you are working with FILES but not APPLICATIONS

That repeating script was taken from Netkas, a very dedicated person who is helping PC users install Mac OS X and make it almost genuine. This script was to prevent a certain extension from messing up the 10.5.2 update...

Well anyways, there is another, but non-automatic way to do this. It requires a lot of patience, but it will work, and for the meantime until Zibri fixes this himself when he gets his iTouch...

You will need:
    • A Mac (preferrably with Leopard)
    • Freshly restored 1.1.4 iPod touch (do not do this from a "used" iPod)
    • ZiPhone 2.5c for Mac NON - GUI (Download here)

1. Download the non-GUI ZiPhone app from the link above, and extract. A folder named "ZiPhone2.5c" should appear.

2. Move the ZiPhone2.5c folder to the root of your drive (e.g Macintosh HD)

3. Open multiple Terminal windows (around 15), and sudo as root with
    Code:
    sudo -s
    on each and every Terminal window (it should be in bash mode)

4. Type "cd /ZiPhone2.5c"

5. Type "ls" and make sure you see the ZiPhone folder contents (zibri.dat, ziphone, etc)

6. Now, get ready as what you are about to do will require not only patience, but also activity... do some stretching, or get pumped up...

7. Insert this command on all Terminal windows
    Code:
    ./ziphone -j
    Do not press Enter/Return yet... make sure the command is on all the Terminal windows....

8. Now, go to every Terminal and simultaneously run the jailbreak (this will launch multiple jailbreak processes depending on the number of Terminal windows, etc.)

9. Once you see the white scrolling text, and when it stops and continues with the jailbreaking, FORCE QUIT TERMINAL with one of these methods:

*Use the keystroke Apple-Option-Esc to bring up the same Force Quit window.
    * Control-click/right-click on an application's icon in the Dock. Usually you can simply quit an application from this menu. A stuck application will often say Force Quit in place of Quit, though you can hold down the option key if it does not.

10. If all goes well, the iPod touch will boot up as normal, with the time and a slide to unlock screen. Slide to unlock and notice the Installer and the Zibri's Blog WebClip. That's it, your iPod has been jailbreaked!

*If not, open a Terminal, sudo as root, cd to the ZiPhone folder, and run
    Code:
    ./ziphone -N
    . This will boot the iPod in normal mode. If you have problems booting in normal mode, boot to recovery mode by turning off the iPod, holding the Home button, connecting the dock cable, and releasing the Home button when iTunes detects the iPod in restore mode. Go ahead and try again. Remember, this takes a lot of patience

This is the second method to making this work. Try it out and provide feedback, and when I have the time I will certainly help out with any issues.

Troubleshooting:
    Q: I get a ./ZiPhoneOSX.app is a directory error
    A: Do not use the ZiPhoneGUI for Mac app to do this. Download the non-GUI version of 2.5c above, or extract the contents of /ZiPhoneOSX.app/Contents/Resources to a folder named ZiPhone2.5.c

Q: I get a long message starting with "Unable to pair the device..."
    A: Your iPod is not synced with iTunes of the particular Mac. I recommend that you do sync the iPod with the iTunes on the Mac you are jailbreaking with so you don't have to manually go to restore mode by pressing Home and Standby buttons, etc.

[UPDATE] Alot of you have been getting this error even if your iPod is synced to iTunes. To fix this, MAKE SURE iTUNES IS OPEN.. (iTunes needs to be open for ZiPhone to use the Apple Mobile Device service to locate the iPod and enter it in recovery mode)..
  2. FlipJonesy

FlipJonesy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Nice guide, but what is the root of the drive, should I just put Ziphone inside Macintosh HD?

And where in the scrolling text do I terminate terminal (ha), can I do it like right when it starts scrolling, or after where the BSD error would be?
  3. sushiboy

sushiboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    This looks promising..
  4. sushiboy

sushiboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You should put it inside /User/FlipJonesy or whatever you name it.
  5. alnandr

alnandr New Member

Yes, put the folder ZiPhone2.5c on the root of the drive that you have Mac OS X installed on (for you, Macintosh HD).

Make sure you're using the non-GUI version from the download link I provided you... the app itself will not work, unless you extract the files from /Contents/Resources to a folder named ZiPhone2.5c...

You can try doing so, but I recommend the root of the drive for best results...
  6. FlipJonesy

FlipJonesy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hm, I still get stuck at the BSD root error, About 5 trys and I still can't get it to work. what "try" did this work for you? I have a 16GB Ipod
  7. alnandr

alnandr New Member

Hmm.. maybe the script isn't doing it repeatedly... let me check it out..

For now, just run ./ziphone -j on the Terminal and keep doing CTRL+C, Up and Return repeatedly...

Like once you run ./ziphone -j, press CTRL+C, press the Up arrow, and press Return repeatedly until you get to the scrolling screen (stop when you see it scroll really fast and you see /Applications/Installer.app scrolling at lightling speed) with CTRL+C

Try that. I need to look at the auto script and see what the problem is...
  8. ryanmct

ryanmct New Member

Same.
  9. ryanmct

ryanmct New Member

When I go to execute "./ziphone -j" It says it can't find the iphone, only when i manually put it into recovery mode.
  10. FlipJonesy

FlipJonesy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Same for me, no matter what I do itunes doesn't want to pair with my Ipod, after a fresh restore, I set up it up as a new Ipod, and synced a couple songs to it, but it still doesn't want to pair, and it only works for me too when the Ipod starts out in recovery mode