Jailbreak- Wifi Access

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by Superstar, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Superstar

Superstar Member

Hey!

So I'm going to be in NY in 3 weeks and I plan to buy an ipod touch during my visit. I'll be staying at my grandmother's house who uses a Mac computer with most likely no wireless connection.

Now the first thing I want to do when I get the ipod is jailbreak it. As you can see this may be an issue since she doesn't have wifi. Is wifi absolutely required in order to jailbreak? Is there any chance I could jailbreak in a cafe or place where I get a free connection? Don't forget I can't know what firmware I'll have.

Any additional suggestions maybe?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. xilver900

xilver900 New Member

I would suggest that you first find out which firmware your ipod has. You may have to downgrade to 1.1.1 in order to jailbreak with wi-fi. I would suggest to take your ipod where you can access some wi-fi network and jailbreak 1.1.1 and install "OktoPrep". After that there is no need to have access to any wireless network to jailbreak into the latest 1.1.2
    All you need is the jailbreak 1.1.2 files and your usb-cable
  3. HackerAlert

HackerAlert New Member

This may help you

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12502

But yeah, like xilver has stated, If it comes as 1.1.2, downgrade it to 1.1.1 via iTunes (Many tutorials on that), and then go find some WiFi connection to use, head over to jailbreakme.com on Safari. Install oktoprep via the installer, then upgrade to 1.1.2 and get the jailbreak files to do it via USB.

There are many video tutorials on this, head over to http://ipodtouchmaster.com/videos.html - He makes great tutorials, scroll down to jail breaking 1.1.2
  4. Superstar

Superstar Member

Thanks guys! You really helped me out...I don't think it'll be too much trouble jailbreaking after all!

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Superstar

Superstar Member

Ok I'm really sorry to double post but I thought of another issue that might be limiting.

Apps as I understand require both a PC and Wifi, is that correct? If so I might be in for some trouble...Is there a way to download and install apps directly via wifi on the touch? What is this repo I keep hearing about?

Thanks!
  6. bulldozer246

bulldozer246 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wifi is only required to actually jailbreak it. You need a PC for the jailbreak, but after that, you can install things from installer app if you have wifi.

If you have access to a computer with a wireless card, you can get wifi on you iPod without a router: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21450

If not, I think iBricker allows you to access the necessary files through your USB cable and you can manually install apps (read up to make sure you do it right if you decide to do it manually). Just do a search about installing without wifi, I'm sure it's been asked before.

A repo is a url that you would enter into the sources category of your installer app that comes with a jailbreak. Installer checks these urls for apps to install. They are where installer gets its apps from. Since it only comes with a couple basic repos, you can add other repos (including the repo hosted by this website).
  7. dekigo92

dekigo92 New Member

If worse comes to worst, you will be able to install apps on a jailbroken ipod by connecting it to a computer and running a host such as winSCPHost or CuteFTP Pro. Check out ipodtouchmaster's videos.