Jailbreak - Why

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by skewett, Oct 29, 2008.

1. skewett

skewett New Member

Hi guys

I bought my first ipod an 8Gb Touch a couple of days ago and it seems a great bit of kit. I have been a bit frustrated by itunes, particularly transferring music to the ipod and also why I can't see the ipod in my computer on my Vista machine. My son has an ipod and he just uses it like an extra drive, so much easier. He gave me a game to try but itunes won't copy it to the ipod, it just keeps saying something like it's not authorised. I don't normall play games but just wanted to glory in the ipods capabilities for a while. I suppose it's just going to take a bit of getting used to.

My question here is 'why should I jailbreak' what are the benefits and what more will I be able to do.

Can someone point me in the direction of a real newbies guide to the benefits. I'm not scared by the prospect of Jailbreaking but pretty intrigued as to why!

Cheers
  2. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I jailbreak so i can theme and customize my ipod, it makes it alot more personal.

Also it gives you the ability to install apps that apple do not aprove of.
    This are not "bad" apps but apps that play around with the device and more of the root section.

Where as appstore apps are contained with in folders and locked down inways so they do not effct other directories...i Thnk.

Basicly do it, because you will not regret it
  3. DotSlashSlash

DotSlashSlash Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    They only uses i had for was to get applications on my ipod before the app store unofficially and then i jailbroke my ipod when the app store came out just to see what it was like and because i could access the contents of my ipod i could put applicatios on i had developed.

The customising side of the jailbreak isnt a good enough reason to jailbreak anymore and no one develops applications and games on it due to the app store and the money involved i dont have my ipod any more jailbroken because i have now bought the official development program form apple so i can put my applications on with out having to jailbreak.
  4. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

If you jailbreak you dont need to use iTunes.(except for updates)
  5. skewett

skewett New Member

That sounds more interesting.

Does that mean I can see the contents of my ipod touch and therefore transfer MP3s, videos, photos etc straight to the relevent folders?

Will it appear as a drive under My Computer?
  6. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    But it can make your ipod unstable if you install some apps. Like apps that mess with things that can affect the ipod, because most jailbroken apps run as root meaning they can do anything to you ipod. Also apps can run in the background thus slowing down your ipod.

But you can do some fun things, but yeah, it can go very wrong very easily.
  7. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

One thing to note: StumblerPlus works better than just about any App Store 'WiFi scanner' program I can think of. There are also a few applications which don't have a functional equivalent on the App Store yet... and JB does give you one other 'feature' - you can copy the Documents file from an App Store app to your hard drive, so if you end up accidentally deleting the application from the iPod, you keep your save game data.
  8. BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    With Apple eagerly watching the appstore for any applications that they do not approve of, Cydia provides an alternative platform for apps that either were blocked by Apple or that the developer knew they would never get accepted anyway.

A prime example is Podcaster which is a native podcast client for the iPhone/iPod. Everyone wanted this but Apple refused it because they said it copies the functions already on the iPod but they meant iTunes program because the iPod has no way to download podcasts over the air. Therefore Cydia provided an excellent platform for the developer to release podcaster AND he could still charge for it.
  9. 6uardianAngel

6uardianAngel New Member

iPod Touch will not show under the My Computer (other than in the 2.x firmwares where you can access your screenshots, under saved pictures. You can't drag and drop files onto the ipod though.) The only way you'll be able to see the root directory of the iPod and ACTUAL folders located within is if you jailbreak. (Using openSSH)

If you really don't want to use iTunes to synch. there are apps such as MxTube and pwnplayer which will play mp3s and videos that you transfer.

If you don't jailbreak, the ONLY way you can transfer data onto your ipod is through iTunes.
  10. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

no, it will not appear.

but if u use openSSH, u can browse the files of your mobile.