Jailbreak using virtual machine?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Smuuv, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Smuuv

Smuuv New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Has anyone performed a jailbreak through a virtual machine? I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 and running Windows XP in VirtualBox. Can I perform a jailbreak this way?
  2. htwnrver

htwnrver New Member

Theoretically if you can sync your touch to itunes installed in a VM then it should work fine. You want to make sure the mouse has focus on the VM when you plug the ipod in so it gets directed to the VM and not your host. I've done this in a vista x32 VM on a vista x64 host with no issues.

I have already jailbroken mine so I won't test the whole process but the next time I need to reboot my touch i will re-jailbreak in a VM and see. In the meantime give it a try and let us know....
  3. Smuuv

Smuuv New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I will give this a try. Thanks.
  4. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    As long as your Windows VM picks up the USB connection you can do ANY things to your device via USB within reason. I'm not sayin you can order it to make you a bacon sandwich but you get the idea
  5. psrespy

psrespy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have used VMware workstation to JB my IPod touch 2g it took me a couple of tries but it finaly worked and I can boot from the VM to.
  6. Quikshotz

Quikshotz New Member

Libusb doesnt work with 64bit tho. Just incase thats what your using. Never worked on my laptop so good thing I have 4 other 32 bit computers to choose from ;p
  7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    i have tryed it but find the usb turning on and off between the host and the vmware machine buggers up the process sometimes.
  8. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

Or you can just use iRecovery to jailbreak like everyone else who uses Linux.

Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?
  9. Smuuv

Smuuv New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, I'm jailbroken now. I was able to do it with a virtual box session running Windows XP. Thanks to the suggestions, encouragement and all of the help throughout the forum. The search button is an awesome tool. I thought I had bricked it because I couldn't turn it on and had tried multiple methods to get it back into dfu mode. I will say timing is everything with getting into dfu mode.
  10. htwnrver

htwnrver New Member

Good to hear. Enjoy....