iOS 4.1 Jailbreak/Update help, please

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by iRule2012, Oct 26, 2010.

1. iRule2012

iRule2012 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a jailbroken iPod Touch 2g non-MC on 4.0, and I want to update to 4.1, but I don't want to have it jailbroken anymore. I don't want to restore my iPod or download any firmware updates from sources other than iTunes. If I just update to 4.1 through iTunes, what will happen? Is it safe for my iPod to do that? And if I decide I want to jailbreak again later, will I be able to? I'm a bit lost in all this jailbreak stuff.
  2. TXF001

TXF001 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Doing a restore through iTunes should be fine. The jailbreak will be removed. There's no telling if you'll be able to jailbreak later because it depends on the firmware you're using at the time and if there's a jailbreak out for it...
  3. ShinyPants

ShinyPants New Member

The update will leave jailbreak data behind (Which is bad as it can corrupt other data) so if you want to be un-jailbroken, you have to 'Restore' not 'Update'.

If you backup the SHSH blobs for 4.1 you will always be able to restore to 4.1 and jailbreak.
  4. iRule2012

iRule2012 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'd rather not "restore", though. Would I have the same results by just clicking Update? Edit: Oh, it might be bad for it. I thought it might be...
  5. SuperMario

SuperMario Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    He just said that it will corrupt the data (it will still be jailbroken)
    the only way to get rid of a jailbreak is restore
  6. iRule2012

iRule2012 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So what exactly would happen if I justed clicked Update? Would it still work fine, even though it would still be jailbroken?
  7. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It would not still be jailbroken, however some traces of the jailbreak may be left behind. Like, if you've changed the carrier text or added the date to the status bar, it'll still be there after updating. Also, it leaves behind your /Applications folder from the previous firmware, so if you want that to not happen, you can use SSH to delete wherever /Applications links to and then update and it should be fine.
  8. iRule2012

iRule2012 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is it bad if I don't do that? Sorry if I sound really stupid, I'm still learning what all of this is, which is why I want to unjailbreak, so I don't have to worry about any of it.
  9. Hurr Durr

Hurr Durr Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Basicly restore if you're not gonna jailbreak again. I updated mine from 4.0 without restoring and it still had battery percentage, then i did the downgrade, then upgraded the jailbroken device without restoring and semi bricked it, lol.
  10. iRule2012

iRule2012 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay then, I guess I'll just get over my fear of restoring. Thanks for the help, everybody.