iOS 4.1 Jailbreak, un-lock iPhone and then un-jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by LBowers, Sep 15, 2010.

1. LBowers

LBowers New Member

I want to give my iPhone 3GS to my wife, but Vodafone won't unlock it until my contract has expired (which is fair enough). My wife is on the Orange network.

Can I jailbreak my iPhone, just to unlock it, and then un-jailbreak it to return it to its former state?

Cheers
  2. chucklz_smiley

chucklz_smiley Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    No the unlock requires the jailbreak, you wouldnt notice the difference however if it was just jailbroken to unlock
  3. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Jailbreaking is usually only unstable when you install a bunch of extra crap without really knowing what you are doing. And sometimes the homemade apps don't quite work the way their supposed to.(although this happens with the paid stuff too) If you only jailbreak to unlock, you should have no problems. There are many different advantages to jailbreaking though, not just the unlock.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. LBowers

LBowers New Member

Thanks guys.

As my wife wouldn't be interested in anything that jailbreaking has to offer, I was hoping I could just use if for unlocking only.

The only drawback from keeping it jailbroken, then, is that she wouldn't be able to update the iPhone whenever apple release an update?

It's a shame there no simple way to just unlock the phone

Thanks again.
  5. iDestiny

iDestiny Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Unlock relates to baseband, right?
    TinyUmbrella has some developments in that area... I think :/
  6. chucklz_smiley

chucklz_smiley Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yeah you would have to wait for a jailbreak, however the next jailbreak will be bootrom based which means the jailbreaks should come out just as quickly as the have been for the 3G previously.

In the mean time using jailbreakme and ultrasn0w is a simple way to jailbreak and unlock

of course the only problem being as you said you cant update till 4.02/4.1 until theres another jailbreak
  7. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You need jailbreak to unlock. And btw it would be funny if they used the free unlocks and ask you to pay.