Jailbreak reconsideration

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by patsfan258, Jun 12, 2010.

1. patsfan258

patsfan258 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I jailbroke my itouch with redsn0w awhile back but in doing so i had to downgrade my version to 3.1.2, dont get me wrong the jailbreak works fine but ive heard that jailbreaking with Spirit you can keep your 3.1.3 firmware should i restore and jailbreak with Spirit? Also is Spirit and untethered jailbreak?

New to the forums

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    3.1.3 is a useless upgrade, its not even worth upgrading. Your best plan is to wait until 4.0 is released in a week or so. There will be a jailbreak released for that version and you'll be up to date with everything at that stage

3. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    just stay at 3.1.2 and jailbreak with spirit.If your currently teathered then you have to restore. And spirit is unteathered. But it is worth the wait to wait for 4.0
  4. avikar1

avikar1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah, the 3.1.3 is a userland exploit, which means that a new version of the firmware can(and will) remove the exploit. THe 3.1.2 is in the bootrom(i believe), which means that it wont go away just from firmware.
  5. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If 3.1.2 is bootrom and so is 3.1.3, you just contradicted yourself there

6. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm gonna interject here and clear up any confusion. A bootrom exploit is not firmware specific, it is device specific.

The devices without a bootrom exploit released are:
    MC 8gb iPod
    The 3G iPods
    The later 3GS
    iPad.

The spirit jailbreak is a userland jailbreak (it doesn't really matter what this means, all you need to know is that it is easily patched) bootrom exploits however cannot be patched for devices already made, so a jailbreak will always be released for that device.

Spirit is an untethered jailbreak which means you wont have to plug your iPod into a computer and jailbreak every time you reboot the iPod. It works on all the latest firmwares < 4.0.
  7. DisneyRicky

DisneyRicky Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Spirits untethered! Which is great for my iPad because I over use it and my battery dies all the time. I get a good 9 hours out of it, but I just use it so much the battery dies.