Jailbreak Questions: Which Itunes and firmware

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by HooliganD, Oct 26, 2009.

1. HooliganD

HooliganD Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I searched and found a lot of useful information on jailbreaking, thank you.

Some of the info was old so I just wanted some confirmation on the info...
    I have a 2G (MB model number) touch with 3.0 firmware. I understand blackra1n is easiest to use but I should upgrade the firmware to 3.1.2, correct?

On my Vista running laptop, I'm running Itunes 8.2, on my xp desktop, is 8.2 a compatible version, does it matter which version?

Thank you in advance,
    HooliganD
  2. Konstantine

Konstantine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i believe on blackra1n you need the latest version of itunes. not sure on the firmware. ill look into it
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    yes you need the newest firmware. 3.1.2. but the reviews are coming in bad for blackra1n. pwnage is a cleaner safer method of jailbreaking but not as simple as blackra1n.(clicking one button) i personally am trying blackra1n for now to see what it offers. Rock is great but needs some work, but the same can be said for cydia. when it comes down to it, it doesnt matter cause you can always restore your ipod and try again. dont worry about bricking, dfu saves the day.
    oh and yeah latest version of itunes.
  3. HooliganD

HooliganD Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    great thanks, I wasn't sure if pwnage was untethered yet and how it would work with 3.0 and up firmware. For pwnage, same info, update firmware and itunes, right?
    Pwnage is for mac users only though, no? quickpwn is the windows variant, right?
  4. Bradoeoe

Bradoeoe New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    to use blackra1n you need the latest itunes and firware 3.1.2 or 3.1.1

Please Register or Log in to view images

I thought that at the moment the only way to jailbreak with windows was blackra1n... i could be wrong though
  5. HooliganD

HooliganD Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thx Bradoeoe, I'll search some more. Has anyone else heard of problems with blackra1n? I've waited since the 2Gs were first released (sept 08?) til now, I can wait awhile longer to make sure I have a stable platform to unlock. In the meantime, I'll update itunes and my firmware.
  6. Uchiha1911

Uchiha1911 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Pwnage is cleaner and safer than BlackRa1n? Like hell it is. there's nothing risky about BlackRa1n, it's working as intended and it's doing the job.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I'm experiencing no problems at all with the BlackRa1n jailbreak, it's great. If I were you, I'd jailbreak my device using BlackRa1n, it's pizs easy and it has served me well up to this very moment

Please Register or Log in to view images

What problrms were you talking about in your post, by the way?
  7. HooliganD

HooliganD Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Done. Upgaded firmware to 3.1.2 and to the latest iTunes. Dl'd blakra1n and ran it a couple times - the ipt2g didn't want to do anything. I restored my iPod and read some more. I read on here that blakcra1n exe has to be moved/saved to the hard drive rather than the usual "downloads" folder in my documents.
    Ran it from the c drive and it worked flawlesly in seconds.

Thx everyone... Now if only I could sync the movies I had decoded from my DVD collection. Everytime I do an upgaded I seem to lose them!!