Jailbreak questions from a new iPod Touch user

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alexkim, Feb 6, 2009.

1. alexkim

alexkim New Member

Hey guys im new to the ipod world and these forums so i have a few newbie questions.

1) Redsn0w came out but its tethered. Whats the difference between tethered and un tethered. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

2) EXTREME NEWBIE ALERT: What does a jailbreak actually do?

3) If you 2.2 firmware and u jailbroke it but 2.2.1 came out will u have to jailbreak again? And what about the apps?

4) Whats winterboard? is there a difference between that and redsn0w?

Thanks a lot guys! Sorry if this makes you go like this

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please Register or Log in to view images

or facepalm -___-
  2. lotus22

lotus22 New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Tethered as I understand it means that you'll have to re-jailbreak it if you reboot your ipod.

Rebooting is holding down the power key for more than 5 seconds.

Sleeping it just touching the power key and is suggested.

A jailbreak lets you install third party apps not approved by apple, themes and other stuff.

Winterboard is a Theme Program that helps you change themes.
  3. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    way incorrect.

first off, tethered means that u have to reapply the redsn0w patch everytime u reboot... u don't have to completly re jailbreak. this doesn't include sleep mode... sleep mode is ok.

jailbreaking is running a patched/custom firmware that will let u download third party apps and themes, all for free.

now, i would suggest just upgrading to 2.2.1 and then jailbreaking, don't do it on 2.2. but if u jailbroke on 2.2, and then upgraded to 2.2.1, u would have to rejailbreak. which is a hastle.

and finally, redn0w is the code name for the iphone dev team's ipod touch 2g jailbreak. thats really all it is. winterboard on the otherhand, is a program that u get from jailbreaking, and that manages ur themes. u get ur themes from cydia, which is a central download program that has all ur downloads there. u can get ur themes and apps from that program.

any other questions just hit me up with a PM