Jailbreak process

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by sanga282, Mar 29, 2009.

1. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well today I was thinking, mainly because i was fiddling with my mates ipod and he hadnt updated to 2.2.1 so i was updating it for him. Well anyway, when you update your ipod does it modify the firmware whilst keeping all the data files in tact? As far as i understood it you clicked update and then the firmware just replaced itself. Well my idea was why not get this to work for jailbroken software? this would cut the process time of jailbreaking and restoring your files by at least half. if you told iTunes the firmware you had was a version above what you've currently got then it will update and leave the files intact right? Is this possible or is it just not gonna happen?
  2. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    iTunes firmware updates remove EVERYTHING and then resyncs the files. Its just the jailbreak process with official firmware.
  3. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Firmware updates don't remove every thing
    @OP I think that may be how quickpwn works, I really have no idea though
  4. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    By everything I mean data wise. Notes and contacts etc are backed up but other things I'm pretty sure get deleted.
  5. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Your filesystem isn't touched when you update
  6. danny999911

danny999911 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    system files are changed, which would basically delete your jailbreak, but music etc is not touched