Jailbreak process and viruses/malware- the history and the potential?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Ryuukumori, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

I've seen so much come and go here. Been around to iPod Touch Fan's youth back in September of 2007.

I remember the days when we had always told ourselves, "Jailbreaking is completely safe, and no evidence of instability (Bricking, so to say) of iPods have been recorded, with no evidence of viruses or malware." The question here is "yet."

I have now heard since then that there HAVE been evidence of some sort of suspected malware now that Cydia has been released. I remember the simple "installer" used all the time back on the 1.1.x firmwares.

I want to bring up the fact of these, and share a little insight on the history of how these potentially harmful viruses have influenced, where it might have been, and solutions and prevention.

I see how the new App Store keeps these away from its highly strict policies. Now Jailbreaking has redefined the use of non-signed apps. This leaves us with risk of attack, not just supporting 3rd party apps where it is only possible that way.

I only want to post this to discuss the history of tampering harm to jailbreaking, and what we can expect. I have seen the possibility through lagged iPods after jailbreaking, a game once on Cydia called PenguinPanic (which was recorded to have been a hoax email that led people to load a virus INSTEAD of the harmless game itself), etc.

Although not directly given, it's definitely a possibility out there. I wanted to shine some light on this topic.

Please, I've been here so long, do not get on me with what I post. I KNOW how this community serves, so no need to reiterate anything to me. Thanks!
  2. stevenplanet

stevenplanet Banned

I think Steve Jobs should read this. He knows what the teen agers want on their iPhones. ermmm fap fap fap
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Man, remember that one Anti-Virus thing for the iPod Touch/iPhone.

And the "Fake Update Prep" thing.
  4. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    This is actually a very serious possibility.

Id also like to add, whats to stop people using jailbroken apps to steal your data, like contact list, emails, stealing your internet history, your search info, your cookies, your sms's, recording your phone calls, logging your keys. The apps from cydia and stuff all run as root, which means they have access to everything...

The appstore apps are sandboxed to one basically harmless directory, and they have all undergone screening by Apple.

I jailbroke my iphone for safari download plugin, the mobilefinder hack, the video recorder, and to some small extent winterboard.
  5. Nickll9009

Nickll9009 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That is a complete and total lie.
  6. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

It is 100% impossible to brick an iPod either through software accidents or via malware; the boot ROM is read only to everyone, so the DFU OS will always be readable, and nothing is able to edit that.

The worst and malware or accidents could warrant is a DFU restore. Ever.
  7. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    So what?
    Its still an inconvenience.........

I dont understand this forum, people are so quick to cutting other peoples ideas down because they think they are some sort of "elite" user. But as soon as a real question comes up, no one can answer it or respond to it in an intelligent manner.....
  8. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Should I point out now that App Store apps themselves have performed virus-like behavior, like Aurora Feint looting the Contacts list and sending the data to the company that made it? Anytime you have a computer which runs anything that's not on the firmware, you run the risk of unwanted programs. Even WITH firmware, you run the risk that someone coded in a backdoor into said program.
  9. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

I never said I was an elite user...

There will always be viruses; there are people who are douchebags and will make an app that deletes fstab or sets /usr to 111. But doing these things warrants nothing but a restore. It may be an inconvinience, but malware will never be produced that will brick an iPod. If you think I've again answered in a seemingly unintelligent manner, tell me so and I will be happy to explain my points in a drawn out kiddie version. The fact is that you cannot brick an iPod without physical modification to the device; software problems are implausible because no one can access the boot ROM with any more than read access.
  10. 101gfx

101gfx New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you're worried about this kind of stuff, don't jailbreak. Easy as that.