Jailbreak, Or Not To Jailbreak, That Is The Question?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GeorgeSofiPodTouch, Oct 29, 2008.

1. GeorgeSofiPodTouch

GeorgeSofiPodTouch New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hiii IPTF

I have a 1st Gen 32GB, 2.1 Firmware, iPod Touch....
    ....for the last few weeks i have been wondering whether to jailbreak my iPod or not.

Basically i just want to know what the pro & real cons (I know about the warranty but anything else) on doing it, and if it really is worth it.

Can it damage my iTouch? etc...

Thanks for the advice as usual

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    ALSO i meant to ask when you jailbreak the iPod
    Does it take off certain features from your 2.1 Firmware such as the APP Store, Weather, Mail, Stocks, Notes etc???

If someone could reply that would be great help
    Thanks (y)
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

I do recommend not trying to bump threads - that's against forum rules. Jailbreaking merely removes some software locks, giving you full access to the iPod's file system and the ability to run non-App Store programs. It doesn't remove anything else, and can't break it past the point of a Restore. It's your choice if you want to jailbreak or not, but there's some stuff you can't get on App Store which you can via Cydia (emulators, StumblerPlus which is better than most of the WiFi scanners in the App Store, customization programs, BossPrefs and SBSettings which let you directly manage features on the iPod without opening Settings).
  3. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Pros: Everything
    Cons: Nothing

In all seriousness, there is no reason not to. If you find you're not satisfied with the jailbreak, you can always restore it to normal.

I'm a 2G user, so I can't jailbreak yet. I will be jailbreaking as soon as possible.
  4. GeorgeSofiPodTouch

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the replies (y)

Jarlath...what is bumping threads?!? Im new at this so dont really know what you are talking about. Sorry anyways.

If i do jailbreak does it get rid of certain apple apps that i have already got (games etc), and apps that came with the 2.1 firmware (Weather, Stocks, Mail, Apps Store) etc.

Again any replies/advice will be great cheers (y)
  5. nashballer

nashballer New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    You can jailbreak your ipod touch. But be careful. It can break or mess up your ipod touch if you get the process of jailbroken wrong. I dont think jailbreaking is a good idea. You already have app store that is good enough. But depends if you want it or not.

NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO JAILBREAK IT. BACKUP ALL YOUR APPS FROM YOUR IPOD!!!!
  6. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

You're making it sound so risky. Coming from someone who has modding experience (hardmodded Xbox, Wii) and experience with similar software mods (iPod linux, modding PSPs for friends, now-defunct NDS flashing), the jailbreak is pretty safe and the chances of permanently ruining your iPod are pretty much nonexistent as long as you follow the instructions.

That being said, yes, you should back up your stuff, but that should already have been done automatically.

To your other questions - you won't lose any functions you currently have. The appstore will still work, and so will everything else. Jailbreaking is just awesome because now you can have non-Apple approved applications, such as emulators.

Now my son, go download Quickpwn, and commence the pwnage!
  7. Kargo

Kargo Member

Device:
    iPad
    It cant break your ipod.. the longer you have the ipod the more you are going to want to jailbreak it so why not just do it now =)

Im so glad I did, ive done it 3 times to be exact when new firmwares have been available and its worked a treat. Im now running Pockettouch (control the ipod touch when its in your pocket) which is very useful, the scrobble app which scrobbles my songs to last.fm, pwnplayer and mewseek and I think its just brilliant.. Its when you jailbreak the ipod that you realise how well worth the money spent on the touch was.

If anything was to go wrong, a restore would put your ipod back to how it was when you bought it so you have nothing to lose really.
  8. GeorgeSofiPodTouch

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yer i kind of know it is not risky from what i have read etc.

I always back up my apps every other week or so, or it does it when i sync my iPod for new music etc.

So just double checking when i jailbreak it, i wont lose any of my previosuly downloaded apps, and all the 2.1 apps/features included (mail etc) will still work.

Thanks for all your help mate, nice to see someone can help me out without being horrible to us newbies lol
  9. sotaku22

sotaku22 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It is very risky to brick it and all. And you can somehow restore most of the time. I recommend it totally. You will do it eventually anyway

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. GeorgeSofiPodTouch

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yer i kind of know it is not risky from what i have read etc.

I always back up my apps every other week or so, or it does it when i sync my iPod for new music etc.

So just double checking when i jailbreak it, i wont lose any of my previosuly downloaded apps, and all the 2.1 apps/features included (mail etc) will still work.

Thanks for all your help mate, nice to see someone can help me out without being horrible to us newbies lol