Jailbreak love/hate relationship

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by andyt4097, Nov 15, 2008.

1. andyt4097

andyt4097 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi folks. Ive jailbroken my Touch twice to date, with QuickPwn running right now, so make this the third time. Every time I have restored to factory defaults. I'm not sure what it is, I like the customization of a jailbreak, being able to add different themes, adding all sorts of cool apps that weren't approved by Apple (for some stupid reason

Please Register or Log in to view images

), and I know thats just the tip of the iceberg. I'm not sure what it is that always makes me return to the "regular" settings. This last time it was because I was getting error messages when attempting to sync and I just got sick of seeing them. Other then that I have no idea what makes me go back. Is it just me or does anyone else have this same experience?

Well, I take that back. Ive just tried to run QuickPwn twice, and installer wont show up. I have used the firmware file and software combo before, but nothing this time. Any ideas?
  2. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

I know exactly what you mean. When I had my 1g I went through a period where one day I would JB and the next day I'd have factory settings.

I'd have factory settings (FS) and I'd fret that I wanted to JB, then I'd JB and I'd fret that I wanted FS.

No joke I must have JB my iPod upwards of 100 times. I could do it in my sleep.

Non JB just felt right and everything seemed to purr along better. JB was cool because it let me explore a few different things that Apple "forbids".

But IMO in the end I think that JB is now just a lot of hype. It would have been a lot better pre-app store. Now it's just like "your not cool if you don't JB" I know I know I know you can customize......but seriously....so what? JB iPods to me feel somehow clumsy because they are definately IMO not as fast nor responsive as in there unjailbroken state.

Hey thats my opinion.....and yes opinions are like assholes....everyone got one!
  3. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

I've jailbroken 3 times to date. I don't intend to ever go back to non-jailbroken firmware.

People who are against Jailbroken Touches usually use a few basic arguments.

First, they claim that it slows down. Not true if you're intelligent about what you install Obviously, 3500 themes and a ton of useless apps will slow it down. Having only what you need and actually use doesn't cause any issues.

Next, they claim that the appstore makes Jailbreaking pointless. WRONG. Apple only approves bullsh*t, crippled apps that are nearly useless. They will NEVER approve FPS games, emulators, filesharing programs, and even more importantly, they keep your iPod Touch crippled down to the point that it's just an iPod with a fancy interface, rather than the computer it truly is. Jailbreaking literally gives limitless opportunity to what the device can do. Standard firmware does nothing but keep it dumbed down to a fancy iPod.
  4. andyt4097

andyt4097 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the replies guys. Any ideas why QuickPwn won't work? Details in OP.
  5. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

And pro JB'ers like yourself usually use the above tired old chestnut for your argument.

Tell us what the countless " literally gives limitless opportunity to what the device can do" are? Hmm list 30, thats a lot less then limitless.
  6. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    First off, i had a JB iphone 3g, i JB'd for 1 reason, backgrounder. It slowed my WHOLE iphone down, even when no apps were being backgrounded.

Have you seen the Discover app on the appstore? its FREE and it lets you share files between iphones.....

So you believe that if i dont have themes and random un-approved apps that can potentially slow down and/or damage your iphone till it needs a restore im not using my iphone to its fullest extent? I can install as many app store apps as i want and it wont slow me down. I cannot believe you claim the appstore apps are crap, man are you stupid? I could spend 10 pages telling you how wrong you are.....
  7. *Soul~Of~iTouch*

*Soul~Of~iTouch* New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But you gotta admit man, jailbreak has got some pretty neat applications such as emulators and Mewseek that Apple would NEVER let on the AppStore...

We're not saying AppStore is bad but just that it has its down sides and it is in those areas that jailbreak is better.
  8. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

1. File Browsing
    2. File Copying/editing
    3. Full Access to system files
    4. Command line Terminal
    5. Copy/Paste
    6. Themes
    7. Emulators
    8. Poof
    9. Respringing
    10. SSH
    11. Auto-correct disable
    12. MXtube
    13. Downloadable podcasts
    14. P2P Clients
    15. ******* Clients
    16. Quake
    17. Alternate Music Players
    18. Language packs
    19. Downloadable wallpaper
    20. Audio/Video mixing
    21. Streaming TV
    22. Gesture based controls
    23. Multiple Library syncing
    24. Video Wallpaper
    25. Allocating disk space
    26. Folders
    27. 5 Icon dock
    28. Changeable boot logos
    29. Notification options
    30. Widgets

Do I need to keep going?

Jailbreaking allows full access to the device, hence making it's potential limitless. Without that access, you're limited to whatever Apple approves - which is extremely limited.

What the f*** is backgrounder? I've never even heard of that. That's your own fault for getting some crap wallpaper app instead of something like Winterboard.

The Discover app isn't what I was talking about.

Have you tested your "theory" about installing the max amount of appstore apps? Someone here on the Touchfans forums DID. And his Touch slowed down to a crawl and crashed all the time.
    Like I said in my last post; the Touch is basically a computer. If you're a dumbass and install useless, poorly made programs on a computer, what happens?

Now, to address your reading comprehension. Go back to my last post. Go ahead and point out where I blatantly state that every single appstore app is crap. I know it will take you a bit to read through it again, so I'll just go ahead and say now that you won't find it. They aren't all crap. Most are, but there are some decent apps in there if you look hard enough. Still, it's pretty hard to deny that the large majority of the appstore applications are completely idiotic and useless.

If you're too stupid to operate a jailbroken Touch or iPhone, then that's your issue. Blaming your idiocy on an entire system of hacks and third party applications just confirms your stupidity even more.
  9. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yeah man, your right, JB does have some cool features
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH you call yourself a JBer when you dont know what backgrounder is HHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA YOUR A JOKE!!!!! YOUR OPINION IS NOW WORTHLESS!! IT LETS YOU RUN APPS IN THE BACKGROUND YOU FOOOL!

Why do you NEED full access to a device that works fine by itself? that goes for editing system files, respringing and most of the things you mentioned. Why would you want to edit it? so you can have a few pretty pictures? i actually like the sleekness of the original theme. Alot of themes are not really "full themes" as in they dont edit everything that needs to be edited to make it complete. A lot of JB apps let you edit alot of text based files. Most of the things you mentioned are just gimmicks... No real use there, and also as a side note, downloading podcasts and disabling auto-correct are coming in 2.2, but i like auto-correct. Why would you want a ******* app on you iphone/ipod im sure you have a computer capable of faster speeds that uses the mains power so you dont run out of bat, also *******s are P2P FOOOL... Why would you want an alternative music player? how is it going to be better than the original one except browsing filesystem, but why would you want to do that when you can sync it across with itunes.....?

yeah it would be good if apple allowed themes, but its not a big deal, i like their default theme.

What were you talking about instead of discover? its a filesharing app...... Or did you mean filesharing apps to share pirated material over the internet? well once again, its called A COMPUTER and it does alot of things quicker than an iphone/ipod ever could...

I haven't tested my theory, but i have all the apps i need and more and my iphone works perfectly....

What exactly is limitless potential? Having a few themes? playing emulators? downloading some songs of the internet into your iphone? Explain how all the things you said are needed....

But i ask you one question, how can you have a valid opinion if you know soo little about jailbrekaing apps, iphone apps and just the general concepts involved....

But saying that, as i said before, JB is cool, but alot of it is now just gimmicks because of the Appstore.

Ok so let me get his strait, you are whinging because some appstore apps are useless, yet you think people installing JB apps that can slow it down is the people who download its fault? And you think its perfectly alright to have that available on Cydia.....
  10. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

Please do, I'd love to see a complete list published.