Jailbreak for Categories?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iEatApplesLikeYou, Apr 6, 2009.

1. iEatApplesLikeYou

iEatApplesLikeYou New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I recently purchased the iPod Touch and I've been relatively happy with it as-is. There are only several small things that bother me, but I can live with them. One that DOES bother me a lot is the lack of folders to organize apps in. I download a lot of them and can't understand why Apple wouldn't include some way to categorize them within folders so that I don't have to zip through a million pages. I have 8 so far, and plan to be constantly downloading new applications. Is there no chance anytime soon of there being a legit way to create folders? Is it worth jailbreaking just for Categories? I'm not huge on themes or customization, so I don't care all that much about that. Of course, if I would jailbreak the touch I would just add some of the other common jailbreak apps once it was done, but I could probably live without them if it weren't for lack of folders. So, is it worth JBing over?

And I know some will say that it's "worth" it because you have nothing to lose etc., but I don't want to go through the hassle of it and then of losing jailbroken apps when I upgrade to future firmware versions, and then waiting again for the next jailbreak to come out.

Also, a quick question; if I DO jailbreak, can I sync and get all of my contacts/notes/apps/settings/music/video back?
  2. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If I am not wrong, I saw on the iTunes Store an application that gives you folders but I never downloaded it and I forgot it's name.
  3. iEatApplesLikeYou

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, I will google/look in the app store again. Would you happen to know the answer to my last question too? Thank you in advance.
  4. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yes, it is definitely worth it to jailbreak your iPod.
    When I look at my jailbroken iPod, I say to my self: "How the heck did I manage to use my iPod without jailbreak?"
    There are so many benefits out of it and don't worry about upgrading the firmware, just don't upgrade your iPod until there is a jailbreak for the new firmware

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hope I helped.
  5. liammk

liammk New Member

when i first came here i was like you. I wasn't shure whether i should or not. Now that i have jailbroken there is no way im going back, here are the reasons i JB'ED:
    categories
    backgrounder
    SBsettings
    customization
    trust me its worth it and you have nothing to loose.

ps: categories is soooooooo useful it lets me find apps really fast!!
    pss: wes you can sync all your stuff back.
    psss: you are lucky, the rest of use had to wait painfully for 1 year until there was a jb
  6. bluepigster

bluepigster New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You should totally jailbreak your ipod.

I mean when I first heard about the jailbreak I was like what is this and stuff, but then after you jailbreak, syncinging everything back is not really of a problem. All you haveth to doeth is to um press that silver shiny sync button on iTunes, and let it stay there.
  7. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    just jailbreak. then download folders in Cydia
  8. iEatApplesLikeYou

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks, I decided to go ahead with it and just the few apps I have so far make it completely worth it; categories, sbsettings, backgrounder, lockdown, cydelete, five icon dock, mxtube, quickgold, and safari tab closer.
  9. ALBIM

ALBIM New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you are only jailbreaking for categories, it isn't really worth it. TBH, you don't need 8 pages of apps.

However, if you are open to jailbreaking for many reasons, I say go right ahead. It's great.
  10. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Jailbreaking is easy and totally worth it