Jailbreak and purchasing the new apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by iyiinsan, Feb 4, 2008.

1. iyiinsan

iyiinsan New Member

Hey guys,

I've been Google'ing for some time now, trying to figure out an easy way to upgrade my iPod 1.1.1 to 1.1.3. However, with all the different people releasing different methods which works with certain types of apps --it is complicated and confusing.

I managed to upgrade my iPod to 1.1.3 using this guide. Everything seems to work fine.

But I also want the new apps and the icon functions, in other words, "The January Update." Will I be able to install it on my jailbroken iPod touch if I purchase it from the iTunes Store? Or will I have to use some other method?

Thanks in advance...

PS: I've seen some methods which clearly state that you cannot listen to DRM'd songs. Well, I want to be able to listen to my DRM'd songs.
  2. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Add applerepo.com to your sources and install them..

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Tigerclaw

Tigerclaw New Member

You CAN purchase it if you want to, that's what I did. I used the Dev team jailbreak, but I also wanted the ORIGINAL software from apple (just in case I had problems with it), so I bought it. Had no problems installing it on a jailbroken iPod

Or there are now methods to get it free if that's what you want.
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

It's always best to buy from Apple, to avoid any issues or quirks that may pop up in the future. That said, I bought the apps and features, and they work beautifully on my iPod. And every time I restore/rejailbreak, I have my apps, with no extra fiddling or patching.
  5. iyiinsan

iyiinsan New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I jailbroke it again, but this time with the ipodtouchmaster's repository which had the software update. It worked great, until it did not. (Can play DRM'ed songs, can purchase using iTunes on iPod, cannot transfer back to my Mac...)

I'm going to restore it one more time, without any extra software, jailbreak it, and then purchase the software update.

(And all this just for MobileScrobbler...

)
  6. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

Haha, ditto...
  7. hckychmp10

hckychmp10 New Member

Getting iPhone Apps

You can use iJailbreak which is available on google code and when you run it just click the "add iPhone apps" and you have them for free
  8. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

While it's true that you can add them for free, I wouldn't. You get them for free by patching SpringBoard. And who knows what kind of quirks or errors may arise from having a core piece of software patched by a third party developer.

I like to err on the safe side of things.