Jaibreak/Unlock 2G iPhone Without a SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPoTH4CK3R, Aug 26, 2009.

1. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    OK here's the deal. I recently was lucky enough to win an 2G iPhone through a YouTube giveaway, and it arrived today. Here's the problem, I was told that I would be able to jailbreak and unlock etc. using QuickPwn or redsn0w but I'm stuck on a "no sim card installed" screen on the iPhone and I can't seem to get past it.

The problem being that I don't have AT&T, therefore have no sim card that will work (i was just planning on using it as like a glorified iPod or maybe on t-mobile). So, since I cannot get into the phone, I can't check the firmware. I made a guess and assumed I was dealing with 2.2, so I downloaded redsn0w and a 2.2 firmware file, but when I put it into redsn0w it said "unable to recognize ipsw". Also, I cannot restore with iTunes, because iTunes says I need to put in a SIM first.

Is there anyway I can get past the sim thing? And if not I have another idea, I was planning on using a friends sim just to get past that screen so I could jailbreak, but if I did that would it show on my friends at&t that he was now using an iPhone and be charged any extra fees or anything? Thanks!
  2. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Just restore to 3.0...

No guessing, and then just jailbreak/unlock with redsn0w. Its the easiest way.
  3. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    note:

4. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Oh, lol...

Restore mode, or DFU mode.
  5. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, I tried putting it into DFU, by holding the home and sleep/on off button like I used to do with my touch, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there something special with the iPhone?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Wait nevermind, I tried another DFU method and now I'm in it.

I'm going to give a go at all this. I'll let you guys know how it works out!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ok, now I have a new problem. redsn0w gets all the way up to "Preparing Ramdisk" then it pops up saying that the program needs to be closed (basically it crashes).

Any solution?
  6. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yah, what operating system are you using?

Windows Vista
    Windows XP SP3?

Try to get to Max OS X, or Windows XP Service Pack 2

Uninstall:
    Apple Mobile Device Support
    Bonjour
    iTunes
    Quicktime

Then go here:
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download iTunes and reinstall it.
    Run redsn0w again.

See if it fixes the problem.
    Also, if youre on 3.0.1 firmware, use the 3.0 firmware file with redsn0w, not the 3.0.1