iwrap or invisibleshield means no case required ???

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by phonebook, Dec 15, 2007.

1. phonebook

phonebook New Member

Gday guys,

I Just purchased an Iwrap full body protector and my question is:

Is there any exposed parts that arent covered by the protector and can the iwrap or invisible shield be used as a case without further protection.

btw I have an iskin for my touch, but It would be more convinient using no case.

Thanks
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Hard cases (and for that matter silicone) don't protect against shock. Only dents and scratches. If you want to protect against shock as well you'll need a leather case, as they are very good at diffusing the shock caused by a drop away from the iPod.

I have both an InvisibleSHIELD and a leather case. The shield works great. There are small exposed areas at the corners due to the way it is cut to allow it to wrap around the sides without any buckling, and a couple of millimeters at the sides where it doesn't quite meet up with the front shield (where the plastic bezel meets the chrome) but otherwise it completely covers just about everything and works great - I definitely feel safe from scratches from that. The leather case helps protect against dents and shock, so I'm pretty well completely protected.
  3. deltaspecops

deltaspecops New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    mind telling me how a thin layer of leather protects against shock better than a layer of "shock absorbing" rubber(aka. Silicone)? cmon dude leather just looks cool & professional.
  4. asmallchild

asmallchild New Member

I was planning on using the InvisibleShield screen protector coupled with the iClear hard plastic. Is that a viable combination?

Or does the iClear plastic no longer fit right with an InvisibleShield screen protector?
  5. deltaspecops

deltaspecops New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    should fit fine the invisible shield is only a film. im currently using a invisible shield with capsule touch ultra black and it fits perfectly. (yes i know its not needed but i got the capsule and didnt feel like removing the invisible shield.)
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I'll try and explain the physics here.

When you drop something, the shock of hitting the ground is transmitted immediately to the part of the object that hits. Let's say for the sake of argument, the corner of an iPoT. (Painful to envision, I know, but just play along.) The iPoT is pretty solid, so the entire shock will be transmitted to the rest of the device because there's nothing about the iPoT's shell to absorb or diffuse the impact. So the entire device takes the brunt of the shock.

Now, put it in a hard case. Plastic or metal, it doesn't matter. You drop it. The hard case hits the ground. Like the iPoT, the hard case has no give. Nothing on it will buckle or bend to help absorb the impact because it is completely firm. (Depending on the height from whcih it was dropped of course; drop it from a couple of storeys and sure, it'll dent pretty nicely.) While it may dent or crack, all of the shock is still transmitted to the iPoT.

Now, put it in a silicone case. You drop it. The silicone case hits the ground -- again, corner-wise. That little corner does have some give, but not much because it's rubbery. Being rubbery and fit tight around the iPoT, the shock of the impact doesn't really have anywhere else to go; that little corner did absorb a little bit of impact, but because nothing else gave way to help disperse the impact, the rest of the shock still gets transmitted to the iPoT. What's more, silicone bounces. Electronics do not like to bounce. Silicone is better than a hard case at absorbing shock, but only marginally.

Finally, put it in a leather case. You drop it. The leather case hits the ground, once again, corner wise. Leather is soft. It buckles. As it buckles, it displaces other parts of the case, which diffuses the shock of impact around the case. Although some shock will still be transmitted to the iPoT, it won't be nearly as much as with a silicone or hard case.

If it helps, think of a car. Modern cars are built with crumple zones in the front and rear that intentionally buckle and deform to absorb as much of the impact from a (front or rear) collision as possible which spares the passenger cage a great deal of the shock of impact. The same is true for leather cases; they buckle and deform to absorb the shock of impact.
  7. Walder

Walder New Member

Ok i got the best idea: dont drop it

Please Register or Log in to view images

laterz
  8. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I haven't dropped my iPoT yet, thankfully, but I like to be prepared in the (hopefully unlikely) event that I do.

Actually, there's one other unlikely source that helps prevent a hard impact: In-ear monitors, such as the Shure line. Assuming the cord is shorter than you are, and assuming you wear them as recommended (loop the left and right cords behind the ears and over the top and insert the buds from there) then if it drops, it'll pull the headphone cord taut (due to the fact that the behind-the-ear loop gives it some grab so the IEMs don't pop out of your ears), probably disconnecting it yet halting its momentum temporarily, before it resumes its fall. At that point it might only have a foot or three drop, which can help save it.

This works for buds too, again if you loop 'em behind the ear as above. Full-size (over or on-ear) cans, not so much. They tend to just slide off your head.

This is unfortunately from experience -- but the iPod Video this happened with a couple of times (not to mention the Olympus M:robe 500 I had for a short while) survived without a mark.

9. alston250

alston250 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ultimite protection

What if you put a invisible shield+silicone case+leather case+hard plastic case+metal case. it would be perfect if the silicon, leather, hard plastic and metal case is one case all included with a plastic piece protecting the screen with invisible shield underneth everything. Perfect costom case+invisible shield=ultimite protection.If it can be slim it would be perfect.lolage.

10. Knivesofice

Knivesofice New Member

I orded the Invisble Shield yesterday, also gonna pick up a leather case goin on trip this weekend, So I should find one...only time ive ever dropped my ipod touch was when, I first got it... backpack school books fed ex package...carrying into house lol at least it was protected in all the packing ^^