iWebikt for dummies

Discussion in 'Mobile Web Development' started by pavja2, Aug 22, 2009.

?

Is this what you were looking for?

1. Yes!!!!! Let me worship you!

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Kind of, but I still don't get it

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. No what a waste of forum space.

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pavja2

pavja2 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Now I noticed that every 5 or so posts there is a post like this "helps me iwebkit doesn't have a GUI". I to had this same issue, below is a tutorial for those of us who download iwebkit and expected a site-builder, this tutorial can also be found in my post "Time for a real tutorial" at the iwebkit site:
    Ok, I downloaded iWebkit knowing the following HTML:
    <b>Hello World</b>
    <i>Hello World<i>
    <u>Hello World</u>

I was expecting a nice GUI site builder like a webs.com kind of thing. Click and drag and copy and paste.

Now you can imagine my surprise at installing iWebkit and seeing a scattered collection of CSS,JavaScript,and image files. Clearly this was beyond my understanding. So I scoured the internets looking for a way to create my Web-app with iWebkit. Finally I started to develop an understanding of what I needed to do. However, to save others the trouble of figuring this out I decided to put together a simple tutorial for the rest of us.

First enter your iWebkit folder and create a new subfolder called "First Page"

Then return to your main iWebkit folder, enter the "framework" folder and copy and paste ALL the contents of that folder into your "First Page" folder.

Now in your "First page" folder open up the file "index.html" in your web browser, what you should see is a blank iWebkit page.

To edit the content on this page you need to open the "index.html" with a text editor(right click-open with-notepad).

You will see a mostly blank html file, now you can follow the included tutorial to copy and paste the example code snippets and get a general idea of how to create an iwebkit site.

Once you are done with that you will inevitably ask the question "So, how do I get this site on the internet?"

You will need to choose a web hosting service, I recommend 110mb.com.
    Please use my referral link (removed by author)

I like 110mb because it is fast, TRULY free and sufficient for a simple website. If your website ever makes it big you can expand with a premium service plan, but for now the free plan is sufficient for me.

Now once you have your 110mb.com account go to the "file manager" under system tools.

While that is loading open "My Computer" and go to your folder marked "First Page".

Right click and first page and choose the option (it varies depending on which archiver you use) to create a zip file of first page.

In the file manager on 110mb.com choose "upload" and upload the zip file you created.

To the right of the file name you will see an icon that looks something like a box, select it to extract your file.

Now you should see a folder marked "First Page" open that folder (on 110mb.com!!!!) and select the checkmark next to ALL the files.

Choose the option "Move Selected" and move the files to the directory /

Now if you navigate to username.110mb.com you will see your site on the internets!!!!!!

Congratulations you have created your first iWebkit site! Good luck and continue to develop your iphone websites while we wait for phonegap to allow you to make them native!

Please if you get a chance check out my app at iradar.110mb.com but beware it is still in ALPHA.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I know you're trying to help, but really, this thread is just an elongated way of getting your referral out in the open.

At first I thought you were going to teach some html, which is commendable, but not necessary advisable, but no - you explained that it's necessary to have a webhost and that you have to upload your files. If someone needs to be told that, they should not be toiling with iWebKit.

The iWebKit documentation is more than sufficient, assuming you have a passable knowledge of HTML and CSS. Might I add that such passable knowledge takes no more than a few minutes to acquire - it's just that simple.

I don't mean to come off as condescending or as a jerk, and I hold nothing against you. But you must realize that this not at all an "iWebKit for dummies" tutorial, as you named it.

Anyway, don't use free webhosts - go for the real deal. "Unlimited" bandwidth / disk space can be had for cheap. Split the bill with an entrepreneurial friend and you're really in business.

If anyone just wants to mess around and experiment, I'll be happy to hit you up with a free subdomain of mine.
  3. pavja2

pavja2 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Sorry if I came across as a referral hunter, that was definately not my intention. I simply wanted to tell people how to get started, and in all honesty 110mb.com is just a really easy site to explain. I will remove my refferal link if you would like. In all honesty my first site http://iradar.110mb.com Is just a mod of the demo site, though slowly I am venturing away from copy and paste and just beggining to writ my own stuff. Thank you for the feedback and I agree if you don't know HTML iwebkit isn't the best choice, but it is possible to learn on the job, as I am doing.
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Well seeing as posting referrals is against the rules, yes you should remove the link.
  5. dabomb1022

dabomb1022 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry but you site needs work. It has about three errorS I noticed off the bat and btw I am a freshman too. If you want help I could help you
  6. skatetime.tk

skatetime.tk New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Help!!!

could anyone post a simple template site that i could downaload
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.