iWaiter

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Damionix, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Damionix

Damionix New Member

Ok, I was at an Red Lobster restaurant the other day and I saw how hard it was for these guys to keep up with the times and serving, as well as returning to the person they were serving. All the time wastage does affect their tips, and I feel for them coz most of them do real good work, but just one blunder and the client slashes the tip.

So it hit me, it would be fun to make an app called iWaiter. That helps anyone working in a restaurant keep track of the customers they are serving, how long u have been away from the table, and it notifies you that you have to go check on customer 'x' on table number 'y'. Would help them save time and be conscious, like a timer and a scheduler in one.

Customer: x
    Table: 23
    Time left: 05mins :13sec ( reducing time)
    Task: Retuen and ask if everything is ok

Customer: y
    Table: 40
    Time left: 0mins :46sec ( reducing time)
    Task: check if desert ready

I mean this might sound stupid, but think of how effective this could make them. I am a beginer programmer, so I am a lil short, I would have poped in more. And I know not all of them own and iPhone or iPod touch, but hey, I just think it would be great

Ideas?

Please Register or Log in to view images

1 person likes this.
  2. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    awesome idea. good thinking.
  3. Damionix

Damionix New Member

Thanx

Hopefully some programmer will see this as some good idea too

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. kitren2

kitren2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    theres something called paper and pencil and not alot of waiters have an ipod touch or iphone and probably dont want to carry it around everywhere to egt food on it.
  5. hockeycraze12000

hockeycraze12000 New Member

Yah, I agree with Kitren.
  6. dietztho000

dietztho000 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    come on man, dont be flaming just coz of a suggestion. A little desincy for they guy, i would defly donwload this xD
  7. lambson804

lambson804 New Member

its a pretty cool idea..

I dont think that kitren was flaming him at all.. he was just speaking the truth..i'm not risking my iPoT to get food or anything else of the sort on it.. possibility of getting water on it is much higher too...

I'm a server at Outback Steakhouse, and I do think that it'd be cool to see this app.. but practically, it just gets too busy for someone to pull out their iPoT or iPhone and check this app all the time.. plus, it looks like there's gotta be a lot of input that needs to go in from the waiter, and a lot of the time they're too busy to be able to do that.. PLUS, most restaurants will either punish or fire you if they see you pulling out your phones (or any other device) while you're at work...

I forget things from time to time, and I can def. see how this would help... but it's a lot easier for the waiters to just use the pen and paper that they're using to take the orders.

-I'm not flaming at all, just looking at it from the waiters' side and trying to be practical..
  8. padsquad43

padsquad43 New Member

heres an idea.
    having a edit mode where you can tell the ipod/phone where the tables are in the restraunt. then like the main screen is the map, and a table flashes if a task is needed.
  9. joshua_davis18

joshua_davis18 New Member

sounds good...it could also be used for other things other than just waiting
  10. beezy

beezy New Member

only problems arise is, how will they hear the "alarm" to go to the y table? lol, with headphones?
    customer: umm waiter?
    waiter:...
    customer: excuse me waiter, over here please
    watier:...
    lol