I've set up ad hoc wifi but can't connect the ipod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tjphillips, Oct 14, 2009.

1. tjphillips

tjphillips New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Basically i can't enable ICS. I get the message An error occurred while Internet connection sharing was being enabled (null). I've enabled the services that were supposed to be the reason for it but i'm still getting the message. I've created the wireless network and got it connected with the ipod but there's no internet access. I get an invalid argument message when i try the itunes store.

That's not the only reason i'm doing it though. I want to use my ipod with audio apps like touch osc and automap so i thought i'd try this ad hoc thing to see if it worked instead of getting a wireless router. Will it work with this method? I get a really strong signal but i'm not sure how to set it to send midi over wifi but i believe there are apps for that.

So i've tried! I've searched the forums too and tried the different methods i found.

My laptop has a wireless network card so afaict this should work. I tried entering the ip address manually but that didn't work. I tried bridging the connections too but that didn't work.

I'm using windows 7 with the latest firmware update. Wil jailbreaking the ipod make it easier to achieve what i want or will i be best getting a wireless router? Any help much appreciated. Thanks,

TJ
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Btw the wireless connection that i have setup atm is WEP. If someone knows of a run through for windows 7 that works i'd really appreciate it. Cheers.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Can anyone help me? Given the different methods i don't know which one is best. I don't think it's the firmware update as i had a really strong signal. Do i need to jailbreak the ipod to enable tethering? Thanks.
  2. tjphillips

tjphillips New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  3. tjphillips

tjphillips New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well thanks for all the help.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Utzz

Utzz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The only help I can offer is to make you feel better about your failure - because I'll be damned if I can get it working either, lol. I actually asked about this a little over a month ago with no luck.

Ad Hoc seems hit or miss...more miss, really. I brought my ipt2g into work and using 3 different USB wireless adapters on my PC, I never managed to keep the ad-hoc network going for more than a day. I tried this on both on a factory-restored 3.0 firmware and a jailbroken 3.0 firmware...haven't tried it on factory-restored or jailbroken 3.1.2.

There was just no ryhme or reason as to when it actually allowed me to connect to the internet (or access Cydia) even though it ALWAYS showed that it was connected to the ad-hoc I created. I noted down IP addresses and any info that was shown on teh iPod's network screen when I was succesful in connecting to the net. Not an hour later (when I'd leave and come back from lunch) when trying to re-connect and getting errors, I'd look at the network info page, see the very same info when I was successful and yet...I'm getting errors now.

I tried various tutorials too as there seemed to be a slightly different flavor to each one I read...even one that included re-installing the dhcp client - all to no avail. The one that gave me the most 'success' was the one available from Microsoft's website (and again...I use 'success' here very lightly).

I got frustrated enough with it that I just threw my hands in the air and said F it.