I've changed my mind.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shortperson1026, Apr 5, 2010.

1. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

I've thought a lot, and I've had a change of mind.

Right now, I think it's fair to say a majority of ipt3g users are jailbroken, along with users of every device previously released.

Yes, newcomers don't have the option to jailbreak, but if we waited until next September, everyone would have a jailbreak, and it would be on the 4.0 firmware.

Right now, it seems like the jailbreak is always released when the new iPhone comes out, which initially screws any person over who buys the next generation iPod touch as we have to wait 5-6 more months for an exploit to be found.

I think that it would be best if the exploit, (or is it two?) is saved until the new iPod Touch is released.

We would have the most jailbroken users we've ever had! And we could have a year of having jailbroken idevices without wait!

The one thing that caused me to change my mind? The fact that the untethered exploit discovered by comex (NOT chronic dev) was present in the iPad. If we hold it under wraps until the new iPod Touch is released, there's a good chance it will still be there!
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    1. The majority of users are NOT jailbroken. 10-15% is more accurate, according to analytics in many apps.
    2. The un-tethered exploit is not a hardware exploit, so it could disappear with any software update.

It's not worth it to wait until September to release a jailbreak that can be so easily patched.
  3. bloodyfart

bloodyfart Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Not everyone shares the same interests as you. A jailbreak for iPhone has a much higher priority than the iPod touch.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

And why would that be? I'm not criticizing your statement, I'm just wondering why you think jailbreaking an iPhone would be of higher interests than jailbreaking an iPod Touch.
  5. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    this explot exists in all fimrwares on all models. And if you ask me, there is no higher priority, the jailbreak in general is.
  6. DWY

DWY Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    iPhone users have to jailbreak to unlock... that could be one reason..
  7. chipster

chipster New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    hey im just curious on how a software update can remove the tethered jailbreak? doesnt the user have to authorize an update similar to itunes nagging about updating to 3.1.3?
  8. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    For the Unlock. That is basically the only actual reason jailbreaking actually came into existence.
  9. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    wasnt apps reason why jailbreaking came? there were no apps on 1.x
  10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yep, basically, once the jailbreak for 3.1.2 was released, Apple got their hands on the jailbreak, found the exploit that it was using, and patched it in 3.1.3. And Apple says "If you want to update for the new features/bug fixes, then update, but you will lose the jailbreak". 3.1.3 was a pretty useless update, which is why no jailbreaks have been released for it. The dev teams are just waiting for a bigger update before they release their jailbreak. And once they do release it, that exploit will be patched in the next update.