itunes wrongly finds my 2.2.1 software as the latest!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by djrichard, Jul 31, 2010.

1. djrichard

djrichard New Member

Hi everyone, first post. I decided to register after several frustrating hours today trying to find a solution to my problem.

I have a 2nd generation ipod touch 8gb running on 2.2.1 firmware. Im using itunes 9.2.1.5 which is the latest.

I have been trying to update the firmware using the SHIFT+UPDATE method found all over the internet. I have no problem locating the ipsw file, but when I try to run it, it tells me that the firmware file is not compatible.

Ive already restored my ipod touch back to 2.2.1 today using itunes. Everything is completely default, no music, nothing. It was actually never higher than 2.2.1 anyway.

The big problem I am having, which I cannot find ANY information about, is that when I try and use itunes to update my ipod, it searches, and then reports back that version 2.2.1 IS the latest version of software for my device. Even though we all know there have been many updates since that version.

Ive uninstalled itunes and redownloaded it from Apples site, yet that makes no difference at all.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I can do? I cannot even pay to update currently if I wanted to!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my ipod is in danger of flying across the room!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. iSkate15

iSkate15 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Put your ipod on DFU mode.
    And make sure your using the right ipsw file for your device.
  3. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    are you trying to do 3.x because that was a paid update, if you are using 4.0, you might want to use a mirror, itunes kept erroring when i downloaded it.
  4. ipodtouch4

ipodtouch4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You might need to restore it and re-download itunes again... or go to an apple store and ask them
  5. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    also you might want to try completely uninstalling itunes, Apple software, Bonjour, and Apple software update, also delete the apple folders in your music folder(everything besides the actual music) and the Application data folder but backup the .ipsws to a different location. and you might want to use something like cCleaner to clean out the registy, itunes hides lots of stuff in there.