iTunes won't let me.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xephrey, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Xephrey

Xephrey Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Hey!

Here's my story: I've waited and waited and then waited some more for my AT&T locked iPhone 4 to be shipped to me here in Sweden. Once it finally come, I was disappointed to find that there weren't any software based activation programs available to the public whatsoever. So I ordered a universal SIM unlocky thingy and, well... that'll take up to 14 days to get here. Instead of waiting that long while paying my carrier for nothing, I just gave up and got ripped off by a local 'unlock all iPhones' vendor. Coming out of the rip off, I was quite happy, because it was activated! Things were going great! Then I noticed ultrasn0w didn't work. I scratched my head and downloaded all the little fixes that are strewn across all these repos, like: facetime fix, MMS fix, this fix that fix - red fix, blue fix. Nothing helped. To make sure it wasn't just the sim card being broken after my own custom cut job to convert to microSIM, I tried out another sim that was micro - that didn't work either. So I went out on a limb and thought I'd reset all the data and go from scratch. So I did. Now it sticks on the apple load screen. Something odd though (and this happened normally too), in the final stages of loading while the apple logo was still up, strange artifacts showed up along the time of the screen where the local time and carrier name would usually appear. It always went back to normal, once the system had booted up, but it was always odd.

Now iTunes doesn't 'authorize' and sort of custom firmware recoveries, even if they're official. I've downloaded so many copies and copies of copies of official firmware, my HD is in need of a cleaning now.

The question remains now: What in the hell do I have to do to make this friggin' expensive brick make calls and boot up again? I need something like redsn0w for iPhone 4 that does iOS4 and does a custom restore. Of course everyone is getting set for the release of 4.1 and all, so there's probably not a solution for me until that stuff comes along.

Please help me. I'm so tired of all this. Almost wish I would have just stuck with my HTC Desire from before. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone hacker community and all the stuff available for it, but it seems like Apple has me checkmated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
  2. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

why are you saying r**e?
  3. germ

germ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ummm, take it back to the kid that fugged up your phone in the first place?????

errr wait, nevermind, you trusted your phone to some one you didnt know and they fugged it up rather than coming to the community that you have been with since 2007 and asking what needs to be done.
  4. Xephrey

Xephrey Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    There, I've censored it a bit.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Yeah, I'll probably take it back tomorrow.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    So I've been digging around here and modmyi, and I've found this nifty program; tinyumbrella for the little help that's needed in persuading apple servers to let you do what you want. Anyone know how do find the idevice's ECID while it's bricked?
  5. germ

germ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    sorry if i came off a bit like an a$$.

but i really would never trust my $500+ phone in the hands of a stranger when it comes to things like this. its too easy to do it your self. and plus now, i bet the person that did this for you will tell you to "get lost" the he didnt do it.

my recomendation is to put it in DFU mode and restore to a stock/oem/VALID APPLE 4.0.1 firmware.

if your base band has been updated with a more recent version of firmware, you might be stuck until a new unlock is released.
  6. Xephrey

Xephrey Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    That's alright, I come on these places expecting instant solutions for free, so attitude is more than justified.

Umm yeah, normally I wouldn't do that...and I agree, it's SUPER easy to do all this yourself EXCEPT the activation on an iPhone 4 - as of now without an unlock SIM (well, maybe there IS a way out now to get around that through software, but it requires programing skills and linux knowledge that I lack). That was all I wanted and since they were the only ones in town with an unlock SIM, I got desperate. I made sure to check the baseband before everything went haywire, so I could see if that was the problem - but it was the latest one that is still supported by ultrasn0w.

Also: I was able to find out how to find my iPhone's ECID through system profiler. Sadly, iTunes still blocked my 4.0 restore.
  7. germ

germ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hmmm..... i would say to try cross posting this in the jailbreak forums and see what they have to say.

personally, im on ATT in the USA and have no problem with itunes and the way the phone is setup by apple so i dont have a need to jailbreak.

i have jailbroke and unlocked previous firmwares when i was on tmobile and i never had to have a sim to "activate" it, since in the versions of the jailbreak i was using automatically activated it.
  8. Xephrey

Xephrey Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I took it back to those folks and they proved themselves worthless. That was a stupid mistake and a waste of money on my part anyway, I've learned my lesson.

It's looking like I'm just gonna have to wait for 4.1 next week and hope it's one of those super quick jailbreak breakthroughs as has happened in the past. More pay-as-you-go with my crappy throw-away phone it is!

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I take it that you got it from the US if it's locked to AT&T. If you have an AT&T sim then can you activate it with that?